• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do I need to w/c the back side of my FX5900??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VballCoach

I'm in the process of building my w/c setup for my FX5900.

I've got the GPU block done and am starting on the Ram chips.
I read a post about needing active cooling on the Ram chips...this won't be hard but my question is about the back side or topside when it is installed.

Do I have to put any cooling on that side? All 8 chips are on the gpu side. Do I need passive heatsinks for the topside?

Please help. Thanks again!!

Usually, you won't gain any practical benefit by cooling the backside of your GPU. The core it self is what needs cooling not the back of GPU and as long as you satisfy that ocndition the core is fine. WB on GPU and Ramsinks will do.

passive is a must
active doesn't help that much

bowman cooled his down to -30C and didn't get any benefit :(

you DID remove your heatspreader right?

cause that REALLY HELPS

REALLY REALLY HELPS

lowered temps on my fx by maybe 10 celcius

ok got the gpu block done...using my 2nd prototype cpu block for it..1 in 2 out.... weight about .55 lbs. It's 1in2out and I don't feel like remaking another block.

I wasn't going to w/c the back/topside of the gpu...the back/topside of ramchips was what I was asking about.

so....I shouldn't build a w/b for the ram or should I???

Venom...I don't have a 4200...fixed my Ti4400 and using that for right now....

Have you removed that thingie protecting GPU?
If yes - was it hard and risky for card?

I'd like to remove that thing or at least lap it, but safely - I wouldn't stand my card dieing - 250/446 @ 310/620 on stock cooling, no artifacts. It's strange that this 4ns ram went so far, but I won't make it run faster now as there are no heatspreaders :) so I just want to see how far this baby can go :D

VballCoach said:
ok got the gpu block done...using my 2nd prototype cpu block for it..1 in 2 out.... weight about .55 lbs. It's 1in2out and I don't feel like remaking another block.

I wasn't going to w/c the back/topside of the gpu...the back/topside of ramchips was what I was asking about.

so....I shouldn't build a w/b for the ram or should I???

Venom...I don't have a 4200...fixed my Ti4400 and using that for right now....

Don't WC your ram. Just put some heatsinks on it and a fan blowing over it. This should be fine.

Just becuase how the rams are placed, when people design a block for cooling rams, they tend to have many 90 bends. This will hurt the performance of your entire setup. The OC capability gained by WCing rams on your video card is very marginal....

I'm designing the block with no 90 deg. bends. I'll post pics of it next week. It's like my cpu block design.

I'm installing it on a Winfast Leadtek A350 TDH-LX.

I had it clocked at 300/710. I'm sure it will do better especially with the gpu being w/c'd. It was super easy to remove that
ungodly loud fan/heatsink contraption. 1 screw and 1 clip hold the fan setup on the card. 2 screws on the heatsink and the whole thing comes right up off the card. Very very easy and safe. No need for pliers or tools.

VballCoach said:
I'm designing the block with no 90 deg. bends. I'll post pics of it next week. It's like my cpu block design.

I had it clocked at 300/710. I'm sure it will do better especially with the gpu being w/c'd. It was super easy to remove that
ungodly loud fan/heatsink contraption. 1 screw and 1 clip hold the fan setup on the card. 2 screws on the heatsink and the whole thing comes right up off the card. Very very easy and safe. No need for pliers or tools.

It would be cool if you can design a block that is not very flow restrictive. It would be an interesting design. :tup: for you!

VballCoach said:

ehmm, I didn't mean that.

When you remove heatsink, you see "GPU", but BPU is covered under shim - like with P4. So if you said that you removed that thing, I assumed that you just naked GPU :)

btw, I'm getting 310 (max was 325 but with artifacts after some time) off Ti 4200 on stock fan & heatsink - whereI can hardly feel air flow, so you should get far better results on water.

I think the top is where the GPU should be and the sink. Maybe put the GPU on the top and the ram on the bottom where it is normaly.

Back