• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7 northbridge cooling mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
I'm working on my second IC7 mobo and wanted to do a very simple little cooling mod without all the heatsink cutting and fitting like I did with my first one. I also have been hearing about the occasional N/B cooler clip pulling out on some mobos. So, I decided to just permanently Arctic Silver epoxy a Zalman ZM-NB32J onto the chip. I was also shocked to see that only 2/3 of the northbridge chip was touching the stock heatsink (according to the "footprint" in the thermal goo). The final touch was adding a Sunon high output double thick 40 mm fan on top.

IC7+northbridge+cooler.jpg

Yeah, I've actually had that Sunon fan for a while, was running it on my old TH7-II mobo's N/B chip. I think they're still available.

Just for kicks, I decided to stick a small heatsink (that I had laying around gathering dust) on southbridge chip.

I want to repeat, when I took the original stock heatsink off the N/B chip, it was not making full contact. I wonder if the reason some people can't hit high FSB is because some of these are mounted sloppy at the factory?

Last edited:
batboy said:
Yeah, I've actually had that Sunon fan for a while, was running it on my old TH7-II mobo's N/B chip. I think they're still available.

Just for kicks, I decided to stick a small heatsink (that I had laying around gathering dust) on southbridge chip.

I want to repeat, when I took the original stock heatsink off the N/B chip, it was not making full contact. I wonder if the reason some people can't hit high FSB is because some of these are mounted sloppy at the factory?

that maybe the case, and its just making enough contact to just run stock, and thats about it;)

i have seen postings in the abit forums about those loops pooping off, so i wouldnt hang a cooler on them... unless u use epoxy as well...

Looks very high tech. Wonder how well it works? They should of latched it down on all 4 corners though for safety.

ah ha...well I was close :)

I just ordered up some AS5 adhesive + the same Zalman cooler. couldn't find a source for that sunon 40mm so I got a couple of slightly different ones but 1 of them should work........

Sunon KDE 40mm Mag-Lev

Last edited:
my epox came with a nice sized NB heatsink without fan, so i took it off and only about 40% was macking contact,
i replacet that heatsink with a blue orb. then i noticed my stock sink was about the size of a 40mm fan , and bingo perfect fit, so i slapped that 40mm on it and put it back on with AS5 looks nice,
simple, and more efficant that that blue ord.

Back