• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IHS questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToolBox

I have and old 2.0GHZ P4A (400MHZ FSB) and my friend has one too. So we gonna remove the IHS and expiriment. Now I know how to remove it, but it looks really, really bad without it. How do I remove the gunk on it and also would I apply AS5 as if it were an AMD chip (or old P3) because of its exposed core? Lastly, would the mounting be different would less pressure be used (I assume yes) and how could that be done when using the stock HSF?

99% isopropyl alcohol will do the trick

it wouldn't matter about pressure, because you cant adjust it anyywas, just make sure you are getting good contact cuase thats the best you can do

i use about a galon of Isopropyl alcohol cleaning electronic components i am a 2M cert micromin electronics repair tech
never fried anything with the stuff
just make sure you dry it with airduster or a lint free cloth

You need some sort of TIM. Artic silver would be great. Also, lighter fluid completly breaks down the gunk, and turns it into a liquid.

lol, i normally just use my old toothbrush and soap and water and it always works fine

and if its just TOO big then maybe the dishwasher on a cold cycle without any jet-dry always does the job

bigben2k said:
Save that IHS!!!

I'm collecting them, to take some measurements...

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=242519

PM or e-mail me (you know where... ;) )

Okay, I'll have to talk my friend into letting me keep his and I think I can send two your way! At least one anyway. Do you want me to lap it or clean off the inside? And I can try the isopropyl on mine [if its not dead which I think it is]

I would use alcohol to clean it the soap might stay behind and mess up the thermal interface alcohol will all evaporate in about a minute

as for the dish washer that is crazy lots of water spraying on your $200 chip sounds dangerous to me

as for pressure you would want less pressure than w/the IHS
Intel designed the stupid IHS to have a gap between the IHS and the die and when the heatsink is put on with proper pressure the IHS will be pushed back where it belongs.

with out the IHS on there you don't need to bend anything

on a side note anyone have a good article on how to get the IHS off SAFELY?

Back