• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

I know I asked this before, and had decided on the danner, but my via started to crack. I epoxied it up, but I dont think im going to go with a plastic pump now. What im looking for is good flow(better than my via), metal inlet/outlet, and not huge. Noise isnt too much of an issue, but I would prefer it be quieter than my via. One more thing, which I believe rules the eheim out, is that I dont want to spend over $40.

The Danner Mag3 is pretty close, but I wouldn't use metal barbs with that. I have one, and I'm pretty happy with it. Put some vasoline on the O-Ring to prevent leakage, and for the inlet that usually clamps, I only hand tightened the barb and put a metal clamp around the outside to counteract the pressure.

Like I said, I want metal casing, so it doesnt crack. I suppose I can spend a bit more on a pump.

Iwakis are good pumps very expensive though but also very good pumps definately worth a look if you don't mind spending more.

Check out a Quiet One 1200. Around 25-30$. Plastic but you're not going to avoid that for 40$.

The flow doesnt look much, if any better than my via. Perhaps I'll be forced to go with the mag, I just dont want the plastic splitting.

I believe that metal pump is also out of his price range... I doubt you will be able to fine a metal pump within your price range... Just get a plastic pump and take good care of it...

The Quiet One 1200 is a really nice pump for the money. I was sceptical about it as well, but it turned out to be easily as good if not better than my swiftech mcp300.

As far as the plastic inlet/outlet thing, this pump has 1/2 male threading on it so I would say its much less prone to cracking. Im using brass barbs on mine with teflon tape and had no problems at all. I took some 60grit sand paper and knocked the edges off the threading inside the barb(female threaded barb). When the barb would screw on relatively smoothly i wrapped the tape on the barb and it snugged down great and never leaked once.
And yes it is pretty quiet. If I hold it in my hand I can only hear it if my ear is within about 1 foot of it. Too bad I cant mount my hand in the case to sit the pump on. :/ ;)

I know of a way to prevent housing cracks (the impeller housing that is), but I don't know of an easy way to bring it to life. Essentially it's reinforcement. (1) Scuff the exterior of the inlet cylinder slightly. (2) Apply a verythin coating of JBWeld or other medium set epoxy. (3) Using a spool of thin (~22 guage) spring steel wire, wrap the inlet cylinder like a magnet coil, tightly for 1 layer of wire. (4) Apply another thin layer of epoxy, and wind back over your previous pass. Secure the end (possibly to the starter end) and then apply a final layer of epoxy. The epoxy is basically to ensure that the wire stays in place. If allowed to shift even a little, it would defeat the whole purpose. If the wrappings are done tightly, with 0 spacing, you should have a nearly unsplitable inlet. Of course, I haven't tried this yet, cuz it sounds like pain! lol

Back