• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retreiving My Documents from a Separate HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

9mmCensor

Disabled
I borked my primary HD (didn't have a virus checker - and some virus(s) prohibited me from even getting Norton onto the system to clean it), so I threw Mandrake 9.0 on to my second hard drive, i canabilized from my old system (5.2k RPM is sucky), hoping to steal my files I need for school (and abondon my pr0n collection :)), but Linux didn't didn't play nice with my NTFS HD. So I now have XP on 2 HD's and I am trying to copy a few files to my currently uncorrupted HD. But when I try to get into my "My Documents" folder, it says 'access dinied'. How am i supposed to get my files?

TIA

the reason that you can't access your folder is because the permissions are set so that only you could access those files, and you are not logged in as your old user id.

you probably can't set any new permissions either, as you are not the owner of the folder.

what you need to do is take ownership of that folder:
right click the folder, click "properties", click "security" tab, click "advanced", click "owner" tab, click on your current user name, check "replace owner on subcontainers and objects", click "OK".

now that you've taken ownership of the folder, just set some new security policies, giving you total control of the folder, and you're done!

Ok, there wasn't a security tab, so I couldn't do that. Is there any other way of beating this 'ownership game'. I tryed to get back into the other HD to remove ownership or whatever but I can't even boot into that drive.

shiyan said:
now that you've taken ownership of the folder, just set some new security policies, giving you total control of the folder, and you're done!

OK I found out how to show the "security" tab, but what do you mean by setting new security policys?

what I mean by setting new security policies is that under the security tab, you need to add yourself or your group to the list, and set allow for everything, so that you have access to the folder.

nice link mbentley!

glad to hear it worked out for you. if i have learned anything from troubleshooting windows all these years its how to use the microsoft knowledge base :)

Back