• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W2k3 server setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jreinsma

My Dell 400sc is supposed to arive here in the next few days and I am planning on setting up my webserver on it. I just have a few questions about best way to partition my 36gig Western Digital Raptor on it and how easy it is to setup multiple webpages on it.
I chose standard edition over web because I might concider playing around with streaming media.

I will also be setting up an SQL database up on it for one of my VisualStudio.Net programs that will be running on the webserver.

So for partitioning, I was thinking 10gig for the OS, 10gig for the SQL database, and the last 16gig for webspace. I am sure I probabily could scale the sql data base down to 5 or so gigs since alls it is going to hold is a bunch of online diary entries. So I would like anyones opinion on this partitioning format, sizing and how many partitions needed.

My other question has to deal with setting up the webspace. I am wondering if it is easy to setup multiple webpages in the format I describe in the next line. Lets say I set up my main page to be www.webpage.com by purchasing the name and having it set up with my ip address and what not. Is it easy to set up the server to take and route www.name1.webserver.com and www.name2.webserver.com addresses to certain directories on the webspace.

Thanks for your help. It would be nice to not have to reformat or anything because I partition my drives wrong or somthing.

if it were me, i'd just make it all one big partition....

as for setting up multiple webpages, that's easy. you will be able to have your main page, maybe www.webpage.com, then another one called asdf.webpage.com, and yet another called test.webpage.com. they will all run separately, under their own process.

jreinsma said:
So for partitioning, I was thinking 10gig for the OS, 10gig for the SQL database, and the last 16gig for webspace. I am sure I probabily could scale the sql data base down to 5 or so gigs since alls it is going to hold is a bunch of online diary entries. So I would like anyones opinion on this partitioning format, sizing and how many partitions needed.

well are you planning on installing anything else besides the basic os in the windows partition? if not really, then i would make it 7 or 8. that should be plenty. then i would leave the rest for your webserver (SQL and webspace). i don't see any need to separate them... just use directories :) have like d:\sql and d:\webspace. should be no problem there... it should be helpful in avoiding running out of space... the more partitions you had, the greater chance of running out of space.

the reason i don't suggest having your webspace on the same logical drive as your os (using 1 partition) is because if somebody does happen to get into your server (cracking your server), then it would be a little more difficult to execute windows commands when you're on a different logical drive than the os... plus it keeps it a bit cleaner with the logical drives...

thanks for the input. The raptor arrives tomorrow. So if anybody has any last advice let me know.

Thanks everybody.

It kind of depends on how your managing sql. if your letting things autogrow to fill the disk you might want it on a separate partition. 10 gigs is quite a bit of space even for sql.

Back