• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, my water seems to have mold or algae in it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SnComet2

Alright, here's the problem. I just noticed that the water in my koolance exos (the stock koolance water) has turned a very orangeish brown instead of the stock green. How do I get rid of something like this? Should I drain it and then refill the water right away? Or let it sit out for a night to hopefully dry out? Argh, this has been a stressful week. Just switched to P4 and I have had so many problems...this is the last one I need ironed out. Thanks for the help, or the flames if this is in the stickies.

drain it - run a good amount of warm clean water through and then refill with some water wetter like / water mixture. end of probelm ;)

dew.

Orange/Brown might indicate rust/corrosion of some kind? Might be worth checking the insides of your waterblocks if possible and see if you can get your radiator flushed out well.

thnks fo the help, i can't replace the water until i order some water whetter though. So hopefully it will stay alive for a few days. I checked for corrosion on the water block and inside exos. It seems to be fine, and I hope it is cause its still less than a month old. I don't know how this happened.

Actualy, I replaced it twice this month. Its very easy to do. Tilt your pc sideways, pull a tube off, and drain all the water into a bucket. Pull all the tubing out, and cut a new piece of equal size for every old piece. Then put it all in, refil and your ready to go.

But, I have like 5 feet of tubing in my system, so that would be a alot of tubing, and what's the point?

Yuriman said:
Actualy, I replaced it twice this month. Its very easy to do. Tilt your pc sideways, pull a tube off, and drain all the water into a bucket. Pull all the tubing out, and cut a new piece of equal size for every old piece. Then put it all in, refil and your ready to go.

OMG? is it just me or its too much work ??

I honestly think you love your computer so much man. :D My gf would kill me if i spend that much time with computers :p

it kills algea/organisms.

It's similar to chlorine, just less poisonous, and was developed for cars.

Yuriman said:

.... dude...
i've changed more waterblocks then tubing.
are u forgetting to put waterwetter or coolant in your system??
Stuff won't start growing if u have that stuff in your system, in fact, i've had the same coolant in my car for 10 years (105,000mil) and it still looks .. yellow, maybe not green, but nothing is growing in it.
u need some coolant in that system and pvc tubing so it doesn't stain.

Water Wetter will stain your tubing soo I advise you don't use water wetter and it stinks...

As for WW's function it helps transfer heat from metal to water (simply put)

As for changing the tubing every month..... ????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I highly doubt thats necessary.. if your water or tubing discolors alot I suggest you look more into it than changing your tubing every month. The cost does add up tho...

Korndog... 10 years?!?!?!?!?!?!?! hahaha can i recommend flushing your coolant system and refilling? It really isn;t that difficult to do and it helps your engine last longer. It shouldnt be yellow BTW... Also check for hose crakcs and what not while your at it.. I change mine every year.. haha

I stopped using WW due to the staining and replaced it with Zerex RSC. As for tubing I swapped it out while perfecting my loop and when I added a second radiator. I flushed the rad out prior to installation but there still must have been flux present. It coated everything with a greasy residue. I had to flush everything out and replace the tubing.

Stuff won't grow in your car's coolent because every time you run your car it gets up to over boiling the system is pressurised to keep the water from boiling away, antifreeze also helps this, it raises the boiling point of the water

and abviously keeps it from freezing

your computer isn't going to get anywhere near boiling (I hope) and most won't come close to freezing.

people use antifreze in there computers to prevent corosin and to kill buggies. but antifreeze lowers the heat capacity of the water so somthing like Zerex racing additive is a better choice.

there is lots of additives with there pros and cons i haven't used many so i don't know what is best but i would avoid normal antifreze and get somthing better

zebkoolindc said:
Stuff won't grow in your car's coolent because every time you run your car it gets up to over boiling the system is pressurised to keep the water from boiling away, antifreeze also helps this, it raises the boiling point of the water

and abviously keeps it from freezing

your computer isn't going to get anywhere near boiling (I hope) and most won't come close to freezing.

people use antifreze in there computers to prevent corosin and to kill buggies. but antifreeze lowers the heat capacity of the water so somthing like Zerex racing additive is a better choice.

there is lots of additives with there pros and cons i haven't used many so i don't know what is best but i would avoid normal antifreze and get somthing better

This reminds me... back in the day when anti-freeze could either protect from over heating or protect from freezing but not both... People had to change their anti-freeze every winter. Thank goodness for ethylene-glycol :)

Originally posted by ILikeMy240sx
Korndog... 10 years?!?!?!?!?!?!?! hahaha can i recommend flushing your coolant system and refilling? It really isn;t that difficult to do and it helps your engine last longer. It shouldnt be yellow BTW... Also check for hose crakcs and what not while your at it.. I change mine every year.. haha

its working fine, and the only thing thats cracking are the sparkplugs, which i replaced. When i opened it up, the coolant stil smelled like crap, so i assume its still working. I was just trying to prove a point though. I've changed my entire w/c rig (as in components and setup, 3 cpu blocks, 2vga blocks, 2misc blocks) about a hundred times without replacing tubing or coolant.. except for the cheap vinyl tubing i got ages ago... don't get home depot vinyl tubing, it kinks, stains, and just plain sucks

Back