• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New OC build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marcxs

Registered
Hi there.. I'm running 1.6 Northwood @2.4 very stable. TH7-II raid
I now have the opportunity to build a new machine. Forgive my lack of keeping up with things but whats up with rdram. Does anyone use this stuff anymore. I'm thinking of a IC7w/ 2.6c or 2.8c 800mhz. Can rdram be used in this config? It seems as though everything is geared for DDR? Also can my thermaltake volcano 7+ cool the cpu's I'm considering. I was running raid but not lately so having a raid motherboard is not a requirement. I would happily accept any suggestions on Mobo's cpu's/fans and memory Thanks in advance marcxs

No, RDRAM can't be used on the IC7. You're right, everything is DDR now. RDRAM is dead. I'd lean toward the 2.6C if you truly are planning an upgrade. You'll need two sticks of RAM to run dual DDR on the IC7, kind of like the RDRAM in a way. I've had good luck with OCZ PC3500. After you price all the parts and add them up, you might want to just keep what you have for now, it's not a bad system and it'll still hold it's own. Maybe wait for the Prescotts?

mobo cpu combo

RD ram is hopefully gone for good. DDR is performing as well as if not better in most cases. I recently upgraded from the same setup that you currently have to the 2.6c and a ic7max3 w/ crucial pc4000 2sticks of 256mb. Don't skimp on memory. It seems that quality is more important now for OC'ing than ever. Can't help w/ HS. This combo is running 3.2G on intel air @ default voltage. I'm waiting on a water cooling solution to go further. The 2.6c is probably the sweet spot right now and is almost as good of an OC'er as the 2.4c. Don't expect the 150% OC that you currently have that was so easy with the 1.6NW. As to performance my new combo is doing roughly twice the number of WU's in Seti and is approx. 30% faster in most benchmarks. As stated above by batboy you will need two sticks of mem to run dual channel. Once you upgrade check back with the forums to get excellent advice on what is working for others. I think you'll be happy with the results. ;) :cool:

Last edited:
Back