• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows setup dieing with CPU Cache turned on.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raventy

ok im trying to fix a pc for a freind who's got a FIC AN11STEALTH mobo with an Athlon XP 1900+ with windows xp. Now for some reason when I try to install windows xp the setup dies with a blue screen of death at certain parts unless I turn off both the internal and external CPU cache in the BIOS. With this off the PC runs alot slower. Any idea whats wrong?

raventy said:
ok im trying to fix a pc for a freind who's got a FIC AN11STEALTH mobo with an Athlon XP 1900+ with windows xp. Now for some reason when I try to install windows xp the setup dies with a blue screen of death at certain parts unless I turn off both the internal and external CPU cache in the BIOS. With this off the PC runs alot slower. Any idea whats wrong?

Hrmmmm, well, first of all, make sure its not overclocked, windows install rarely works with an o/c'ed pc. It might be necessary to remove any non-essential component in the pc (pci cards, modems, nic's, extra cd-roms). Sometimes stripping it down to the bare basics will fix it. Also, please post what the blue screen says, that will help us figure out whats going wrong. Good luck!

Matt

its not an oced pc and temps seem fine. Ill post the blue screen of death error when it pops up again.. right now its formating the HD. :p

also, the copying of the windows setup files is going REALLY slow with the caches turned off....btw.. Hey MDCOMP! havent talked to ya in a while! :p Ive been on and off the bored myself lately which is prolly why, but nice to see that ya still around! :)

raventy said:
also, the copying of the windows setup files is going REALLY slow with the caches turned off....btw.. Hey MDCOMP! havent talked to ya in a while! :p Ive been on and off the bored myself lately which is prolly why, but nice to see that ya still around! :)

Nice to see you, too!!! Missed ya. Feel free to pm me, hint hint. Yea, the caches off would make it really slow, heh. Let me know what happens.

Matt

what temperatures is he getting? installing windowsXP is particulary CPU intensive...I have seen my CPU get hotter doing the first stages of that than playing an all night on BF1942.

I had similar problem to this though on my 933...turned out the HS wasnt making good contact, and if the temp spiked it would BSOD me.

Agreed, parts of Windows are unreserved memory hogs :-/

I convene a 6 A.M. Club meeting in a few hours nin ;)

well after I ripped everything out of his pc, put new thermal paste on (Artic Silver Ceramiqe) then reassembled it without the sound, modem, and other use-less cards I got it to go into setup without giving me problems! But now im having a problem where setup keeps saying "cannot copy file so and so" and it always seems to be changing as to which file it cant copy off the cd for the setup. Ive tried 2 different working windows xp cds but none worked. Ive also tried both his dvdrom and cdrw drive but still no luck.

A few times that the windows install halted with me it was a memory problem. Try another stick of memory. Also, have you tried a different cd-rom drive, there is a remote possibility that its just not reading that disk correctly.

Matt

hhmm interesting... when I install windows xp with his full edition cd it fails when copying files even when I swap cds to mine when it trys to recopy the files... yet... if I install with my upgrade cd it works... hhmm well things seem to be working now.. *I think* since I remounted the HSF and actually put ASC on it. (b4 it had a TIM which was half gone) and that I turned off DMA so Ill let ya guys know if anything else happends with it. Thanks for your replies!

Glad to see everything is working so far, hopefully it will stay that way. Update us when you are finished. Good luck!

Matt

well windows is up and everything is running a-ok so it seemed to work out which is always a plus! :p thanks again guys!

Back