• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats this in my device manager??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

THunDA

Hey all
I was nosing around Windows cuz Ive been having a slight delay at the blue windows login screen..Which used to be alot faster.. What Ive noticed is in the device manager when I select "Show Hidden Devices" ..There is something in "Non-plus and Play Drivers" called "Serial" that has a yellow "!" next to it..
Then on the "General" tab it says "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)" <~~what is this ??

Thanks

Thunda :)

Well funny thing is I right clicked it in device manager and rebooted and that got rid of my delay when getting into windows.. I have my serial ports disabled in bios..weird ..im gona uninstall it and reboot maybe it will reinstall on its own..

Edit.. Ok I just uninstalled it and rebooted.. Its not even there anymore and my delay on boot isnt there.. :D Who knows..lol

Last edited:
...it appeared again with a "!" next to it ... :( any ideas?

Re-enable Serial Port 1/Port 2 in the BIOS (even though you're not using them), under Integrated Peripherals...3F8/IRQ4 for Port 1, and 2F8/IRQ3 for Port 2. You'll then find that "Serial" won't even be listed under Non-Plug and Play drivers in Device Manager anymore. This is assuming "APIC Mode" (under "Advanced BIOS Features") was enabled before you installed XP, which makes available 22 IRQ's...and assigns COM1/COM2 to IRQ3/IRQ4. You can see this if you open System Information...Start | Run | Type msinfo32 and click OK | Expand "Hardware Resources" | Highlight "IRQs". :)

Last edited:
Thx... I enabled them and its gone..:) actually tried that before I could get back to this thread.. I disabled them again and its not there now..lol

Back