• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idea to help flow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FIRESTARR357

I post alot of my ideas here, i don't always try them or use them i am just wondering what people think, so here is another one lol. To help with flow lets say you had 2 small pumps both pushing 250gph in a single res. If you had one pump run to the water block and back and thats it, a very short distance, and the other one run to the rad and back to the res, also keep in mind that doing this adds less resistance to each pump. Would this give you cool water with very good flow to the block? Sorry I can't draw for crap lol hope you all understand:D
II.JPG

You need to make sure that the warm water goes directly to the radiator and the cool water goes to the wb. If you start mixing it all up in a reservoir then you will get smaller temp difference when the water goes through the block or radiator. If you want 2 submerged pumps you need 2 reservoirs with a pump in each.

Reservoir 1
provides cool water to cpu block
receives cool water from radiator

Reservoir 2
receives warm water from cpu block
provides warm water to radiator

but then you could simplify by connecting up all the components direct and just having 1 better pump then you end up with a standard setup

Hooking the pumps up in series would typically yield better results.

Pump #1 -> Pump #2 -> Radiator -> water-block -> reservoir

That, and you get the added protection against any single pump failing.

Of course, two pumps increases the amount of heat you put into the water, which could counteract the effect of your higher flowrates.

Cathar said:
Hooking the pumps up in series would typically yield better results.

Pump #1 -> Pump #2 -> Radiator -> water-block -> reservoir

That, and you get the added protection against any single pump failing.

actualy hooking them in parallel would be better because then the flow rate would be higher increasing heat transfer. series would only make the maximum head higher.

i am nude said:

actualy hooking them in parallel would be better because then the flow rate would be higher increasing heat transfer. series would only make the maximum head higher.
Sure, the maximum unrestricted flow rate would be higher, but in practise the two series pumps will win almost every time. This is because the pressure capacity of the pump (or pumps in this case) which you speak so lightly of is the driving force behind any flow in the first place. A parallel setup only helps our commonly used pond pumps do something that they are good at already: pump lots of water with hardly any pressure capacity to boot.

zebkoolindc said:
i would go pump1 -> waterblock -> pump2 -> rad -> res-> back to pump1
The ordering of components really doesn't matter too much. It's probablly easiest to have the pumps together in the loop though.

Back