• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm a little confused...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fuzion

Alright, I've had my WC setup running for almost 3 weeks now with no problems. But, after 3 weeks my temps are quite as low as I thought they would be, they're good, just not as low as I'd like them. I'm seeing Idle temps of ~36-37C and load temps of ~41-43C. Shouldn't I be lower w/ this D-tek Kit on my 2.8? My case temps are around 24-25C, could this be the problem? I've got 2 80MM exhaust, and a 120MM exhaust. My ProCore is shrouded and in the bottom-front. I'm really kind of disappointed right now, I thought I'd see temps in the low 30s range.

BTW: I'm using distilled water w/ the "supercool" d-tek solution.

You might want to reseat your waterblock. Other than that I doubt your temps will get that much lower. Watercooling IMO doesn't lower temps all that much, but saves your ears more, because you don't need three hundred noisy fans.

Also make sure u are not using too much thermal compound

if that ww is well lapped you should only be able to barely see the TIM on the heat spreader

The WW is lapped to a mirror finish. I'm using thick-a** AS5 also, so I might re-apply it and re-sink the block. I may have just had my hopes to high. I'm really happy with it, I just see most guys with temps a good bit cooler than mine.

Fuzion said:
The WW is lapped to a mirror finish. I'm using thick-a** AS5 also, so I might re-apply it and re-sink the block. I may have just had my hopes to high. I'm really happy with it, I just see most guys with temps a good bit cooler than mine.

you dont want a THICK layer of AS5 you want a nice thin EVEN one. Also Mirror != Flat.

Fuzion said:
Alright, I've had my WC setup running for almost 3 weeks now with no problems. But, after 3 weeks my temps are quite as low as I thought they would be, they're good, just not as low as I'd like them. I'm seeing Idle temps of ~36-37C and load temps of ~41-43C. Shouldn't I be lower w/ this D-tek Kit on my 2.8? My case temps are around 24-25C, could this be the problem? I've got 2 80MM exhaust, and a 120MM exhaust. My ProCore is shrouded and in the bottom-front. I'm really kind of disappointed right now, I thought I'd see temps in the low 30s range.

Those temps are quite good for that board, I have the same board. The Abit IC7 series of boards read the on die reading in the CPU and tend to be one of the hottest reporting P4 boards out. When you see guys with aircooling and load temps of 32C at 3.5Ghz on an Asus, rest assured those temps are whacked. Your temps are FINE, and actually a lot lower than most with similar setups.

Fuzion said:

thin, almost "not there" layer of AS5...
reseat block a few times...

Those temps with the oc in your sig??? If so, be very happy with temps.

BigSmokey said:
by thick, I think he means AS5 has a think consistancy, its hard to spead on...not that he gooped it on.

Yeah, I've got a very thin layer applied. AS5 is alot thicker than AS3, so it's harder to spread. I applied just a dab and then let the block spread it.

My temps are with my high OC, they actually don't vary from 3.2 - 3.81, kinda wierd. Thanks for the quick replies.

BTW: I've heard so many bad things about Water Wetter that I'm thinking of using Purple Ice, have people had good results with it? What would be a better additive than the supercool I'm using now?

you might want to pull the block off to see the AS5 pattern, to be sure you have even, full coverage. you can get different temps every time you remount the block as well.

personally I won't use either WW or PI, prefer methanol, but that is with chilled system.

I say you clean your original AS5 off and then apply very thin layer of AS5 (according to the site 2 paper thickness is the maximum so that is pretty damn thin...)

Dex-cool or Zerex seem to be popular anti-freeze here but anything with anti-corrosion stuff is good.

use a razor blade/straight edge to apply the compound. don't trust the waterblock to spread it properly for you.

eeksters said:
use a razor blade/straight edge to apply the compound. don't trust the waterblock to spread it properly for you.

I think letting the WB do the job for ceramique but not for AS5... One advantage of that method is that there will be no air bubbles...

Back