• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is windows newest patch messin up AIM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h0mersimps0n

has anyone else been getting runtime errors with AIM since they downloaded and installed M$'s most recent patch?

I thought it was an anomaly when it happened to my desktop but then the exact same thing happened to my laptop, same file, same program and now I'm suspicous...

anyone else?

The best solution I've found to the problem so far is to completely uninstall AIM (remove all files when it asks) and reinstall latest version. A simple upgrade will not fix the error. I'm not sure if it's necessary but I also installed the newer version of AIM to a different folder incase there was left-over registry entries that might screw me...

Thanks guys

Just updated my laptop earlier today, have not tried aim yet, though. When I get home tonight I will try it out and let you know.

Matt

What sort of runtime errors are you receiving, and which one of "M$'s most recent patch's" are you referring to? Also, which versions of Windows and AIM are you running? :)

I didn't write down the error number, all I know is it was pointing to c:/program files/AIM/aim.exe

I think the "very latest" update I'm referring to is some kind of IE update.

I never noted what version of AIM I was running (damn)...

Works fine on my comp. I just updated windows and I have the newest version of aim, I don't see any problems. It must be some other conflict.

Matt

I have all critical updates installed. I just checked :) . I started AIM with no problem. Maybe you should try uninstalling and reinstalling AIM??

Did full uninstall and full re-install... Still get runtime error.

Found something interesting when I open the debugger though. In the debugger window under misc. Files it lists this:

http://xlonhcld.xlontech.net/200711/201363/cookiefallover.jpg

what the hell is going on?

Why do both my desktop and laptop get these errors for aim.exe, at the same time and reinstalling doesn't help.

thoughts? thanks

I have Windows XP, the latest updates, and the latest version of AIM. No problem here.

I'm guessing its a problem specific to something on your configuration.

Back