• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to decide on a W/B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woods

This will be my first venture into watercooling and I need some assistance with the chice of water blocks. I am wanting to get the BEST w/b out there for less than 100 dollars. I am also wanting to install a watercooler for the north bridge. I am running a nf7-m and plan on hitting fsbs as high as 240ish. I need some opinions on layout and hardware for this endevor. I already have an enheim1250 pump and a good rad. I will be looking into getting one '(or two) of the tec rads that I saw in the classifides.

The Cascade and White Water blocks (http://www.employees.org/~slf/lrwb/) are the best cpu water blocks. The Cascade will cost around $104. I don't remember how much the White Water cost but it's less then the Cascade. Danger Den (http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Blocks/rbx.asp) has a new block that is similar in design to the WW. But I haven't seen any review for it yet.

Keep us posted with your upgrade.

Water on my man.

If you want the best Cascade is the way to go.. You are better off by staying with air-cooling your NB because the benefit is marginal. You want your CPU (or GPU) to have all the available flow, cooling capability. Also, what kindda rad did you get? usually a heatercore works the best

nfs-m $100 (? guess cuz im to lazy to look it up)
AS5 $10
Soldering iron for volt mod $15
Insane waterchilled cooling system $250
30 extra fsb mhtz......Priceless......

:D Never gets oldin my book!

well so far it looks like the DD RBX. The WW is insainley expensive! I cant see it being that much better thatn anything else. Any other suggestions?

Dtek WW, Logic Evo, DD RBX, AquaJoe.... I'd say all are good. Best bang for your buck? Probably the WW or the RBX, although if you buy a WW, make sure you include a lapping kit, because the base finish has been VERY inconsistent...

For myself, I've ordered an RBX. I don't mind being a guinea pig, and $60 isn't much money for an average waterblock. If you don't want to be a guinea, wait a little bit and see how the RBX performs and how the WW base finish changes.

woods said:
well so far it looks like the DD RBX. The WW is insainley expensive! I cant see it being that much better thatn anything else. Any other suggestions?

Dtek is selling the poly top WW for 49.99

Soja said:

Dtek is selling the poly top WW for 49.99
If it where not for the serious pressure to compete they still might be getting $100 for them. :eek: Don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with that. If you can ask for it and get it then more power to you.

joemac1 said:

If it where not for the serious pressure to compete they still might be getting $100 for them. :eek: Don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with that. If you can ask for it and get it then more power to you.

DTek never charged $100 for a White Water. They were always $65 when first offered by DTek.

Back when I was selling them (the all-copper ones) I was asking for around the $75-80 mark, and the rest that people paid was postal charges, but that price was mostly as a result of extra low production runs and needing to pay off all the R&D that went into it. By the time I had amortised the R&D costs the design was handed over to DTek who were able to bring it in at a lower price than I ever could through exercising larger economies of scale.

Sneakytermite said:
How much is the performance difference between the Cascade, WW and RBX?

I don't have an RBX, so I can't say, and even if I did, I wouldn't be seen as an unbiased person (even though I wouldn't lie).

I feel that the WW has been let down quite a bit due to poor base-plate finishing by DTek. Have gotten confirmation by Danny from DTek that this has finally been solved.

I would like to see an independent review of the WW vs the RBX where the WW's base is one of the newer ones. I've suggested to DTek that they send a WW to OC.com for JoeC to review to reconfirm it's performance as there appears to be some apprehension by people after recent experiences with poor lapping on the WW's.

I personally feel that the WW will show very, very strongly.

Sneakytermite said:
Is the performance difference enough to justify the price?

This is ultimately a personal decision. Performance is not just temperature, but also in overclocking. Even a 2-3C difference may mean the difference between a 10MHz higher stable FSB on a P4, a few extra FSB on an AMD, or the difference between a stable and unstable overclock on a warm day. 2-3C may be "spent" pushing a higher Vcore, allowing for a higher stable overclock which was not possible before.

Stability is the key here. Stability, whether at higher overclocks, or higher room temperatures, or both, is what is really being bought here.

For me, I focus on stable overclocks at regular room temperatures using radiator based water cooling with no tricks. Now I don't promise that everyone will see an improvement, or have such a nice CPU as I have, but the potential to extract the most from one's CPU is there and that is what is sought.

Back