• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooling prices and suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lighty^

Registered
I'm looking into a water cooling solution for my computer. The noise it generates is nearly unbearable to leave on 24/7. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions and if I could get a price estimate.

I'm only looking to water cool my amd processor at the moment, the other fans run rather quietly :)

It depends on if you need it selfcontained or not. my 1st water system consisted of a Dtec water block=$50(usd), a garden pond pump= $40 to $60, a rubbermade 2gal container=$5, a oil/trans
cooler=$30, 20' 1/2" hose=$7, & 2gal distilled water=$3. the only fans were the gpu, psu & 2 very quiet case fans. a month later i got the gpu block=$45 & then a few months later the chipset block=$40. all you could hear is the psu & the drives. it was very very quiet. im still using the blocks & pump, but now the res is a 5gal egloo cooler & its filled with alcohol @-43c.

i must've missed the water-cooling forum :/

surprisingly, my gfx card's fans run very quietely.

i'm also considering a peltier option, any suggestions there? i think it would be tons cheaper, but how is the performance?

heres another good quesiton: what idle temps should i expect with my thermaltake volcano 12 with a room temp of ~20C at stock barton 2500 speeds?

WC cooling prices vary widely, and it depends on how good you are at holding to a budget as to how much it will cost. I haven't even built mine yet (I'm collecting the pieces still), and everytime I turn around I find a neato gadget that's "just a little more" than what I was planning to buy, and the total cost is mounting! I'm up to about $180, and I haven't got a water block yet. I'm told you can do it for under $200, and I believe it, but you have to be strict with yourself.....really really strict.

lighty^ said:
i'm also considering a peltier option, any suggestions there? i think it would be tons cheaper, but how is the performance?

pelts work great for good temps, but use alot of power on the 12v rail (???) so you need either A) a super PSU B) a dedicated Pelt PSU.

I can easily build a system for 150, maybe less.

Block $50
Rad, raid an old truck or buy one $20+barbs (?) it can vary
Pump, $40 and that gets u a pretty decent pump mag3 quietone or whatever
Tubing, optional clamps, jug o distilled water, some kinda additive $20

Am i missing something? If not, thats 130 for a basic system. Add in the variables of life and u get around 150 :D

EDIT: MY first system was 20 bucks, copper, barbs tubing. But thats just dumb luck of having everything fall into place quite neatly.

I'm sure it's fun to put together your own H2O cooling but it seems that a decent homemade system cost $150 plus the hassle.

I use the Corsair Hydrocool 200. It's a self contained black box that I put on top of my computer case. It was very easy to install and is reasonably quiet. It cost $225 US

The other easy H20 system is the Koolance brand. They make a case that has a built in system. It's easy and it works well. That case sells for about $275 US but you need to spend another 50 for a waterblock.

Watercooling is a helluva lot better than HSF cooling and much quieter. You are limited by the fact that you can't cool any lower than about 10F above room temp. Even if you had a fan and radiator the size of a truck, you would still only be perhaps 3F above room temp, so huge size doesn't help after a certain point. The only thing to watch out for is getting a system that is so weak that it can't cool the warm water fast enough. Crappy systems have puny radiators, fans and pumps. Decent systems like mine have a 6x6in radiator with a 120mm fan. The Koolance case has a 6x6in radiator and 3 smaller fans. Some homemade systems can have super pumps, bigger radiators and powerfuls fans. I am just too lazy to gather all the parts to save 50 bucks.

Back