• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No mouse or keyb.when in XP safemode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gumboglue

Registered
Hi !

Anyone got any ideas to why my keyboard and mouse (ps/2) don't work when i boot up in XP (Pro) safemode ?

When in XP "normal mode" the mouse and keyboard works fine. When i boot DOS from a floppy, the keyboard is working fine.... Everything looks ok in XP devicemanager and no problem devices or conflicts are listed in XP System Information.

Tried:
Another keyboard and no mouse
Bios, os / bios usb-support for keyboard an mouse
Bios, tried several versions
Switched Keyb.and mouse plugs in ps/2-ports
Updated to newest nforce drivers
Updated aaaall XP fixes and patches

HW:
Abit NF7-S w/Barton2500@11x200
2x512 Twinmos(winbond ch-5) 5-2-2-2
WD 120GB(8MB)
Hercules Radeon 98000Pro @440/740

What make/model keyboard and mouse are you having problems with? Also, which version of the NF7-S (including BIOS revision) are you running? :)

Thanks for the reply !

My keyboard and mouse are both Logitech wireless,
Itouch and the MX700. I've also tried with a standard
keyboard and no mouse, but i get the same problem.

My Bios is v.1.2 , newer versions won't let me run at CAS 2.0.
I have also used v.1.0, 1.4,1.8. My NF7-S is revision 2.0.

I think this is an XP-Issue since it works in DOS + ordinary boot.

I can't be sure that the PC doesn't hang at Safemode-message since i get no response from the keyboard or mouse, but i can't move the mousepointer at XP startup allthough it is visible for a few seconds before the safemode-message appears.....

I have disabled System Restore and some services in XP, but it didn't make any difference when i enabled them again.

Last edited:
Have you tried uninstalling the Logitech iTouch keyboard software, including the mouse drivers?...in other words, have you tried entering Safe Mode using XP's default mouse and keyboard drivers? Also, have you tried connecting the MX700 mouse/Elite keyboard into a USB hub(s)...and checking again to see if you can enter Safe Mode?

I know there's a problem with the keyboard software (the newest version of iTouch--v.2.15), which causes an extended shutdown/restart in XP. There may also be a similar problem with the same software in conjunction with the mouse drivers that's causing your particular problem.

Last edited:
Just tried with the standard XP keyboard-drivers, same problem.

But the problem might be that XP sees the keyboard/mouse or the controller on the motherboard as an device not to be enabled in safe-mode....

Thanks , but the keyboard and mouse are connected to the ps/2-ports. I'll try to disable USB in bios anyway just to have tested it.

Disabling USB, Serial Ports, Onboard Sound, Onboard Lan and Firewire didn't help.

Back