• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4p800 deluxe , random hangs / crash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

napero

Registered
evening.
I got myself 2.4c and p4p800 deluxe board ( new rev )
and one of those fancy black 512 muskin rams.

( now 265x12 1.6v, 2.2.2.5 2.85v . mb at 30-35 Cels. and pros. 28-37 Cels by mbm 5 )

i get those random hangs & crashes above 270 fsb ( 290 max at cold boot) and i have to set the ram " by speed" => 3.4.4.8 as the com won't start othervise.

at 290 fsb, pitfast crashes , prime 95 benchmark gives error , random
crash & hangs

at 285 fsb , pitfast ok , prime -|- error , random hang & crash
at 280 fsb , both fine , random hang & crash
at 275 fsb , both fine , random hang & crash
at 270 fsb , both fine , random hang & crash
at 265 sfb , solid 99.5 %

i have tryed even 1.70vcore , no use same thing happensi have enven touched the black heatsing above the northbride and not even warm.

any succestions ?

Grandpa Dan said:
Tried vcore @ auto? Thats where mine is. FSB currently 298. Only 1 stick ram? 2 needed for dual channel.

vcore isn't auto and it does not change anything.. and only one ram stick was my choice because i wanted to try first how this will overclock without any memory mod ( 2 ram sticks and you will need much more juice to the mems to go high speeds )

one thing .... is the p4p800 deluxe's bios ( 1010 in mine ) still tweaked ? I mean that it shows lower temperature than it is in reality, it might give little gossip what's wrong

As has been said, the AUTO Vcore setting just leaves it a default - 1.525V.

As far as the OC problems, what memory dividers are you using?

I understand that vcore auto starts at default. However when I raise my fsb the vcore raises as well. At default it reads 1.47. w/ fsb @ 295 it reads 1.53. I've found that too much vcore w/ the p4's causes just as much instability as too little.

Grandpa Dan said:
I understand that vcore auto starts at default. However when I raise my fsb the vcore raises as well. At default it reads 1.47. w/ fsb @ 295 it reads 1.53. I've found that too much vcore w/ the p4's causes just as much instability as too little.

I am using the 5:4 divider => 333mhz
and i might try that auto setting..

can you tell anything about that temperature tweak if there is one existing with these p4p800 boards by asus ?

Temp. tweak? never heard of one. With the incorporation of thermal throttling(+ I'm water cooled)CPU temps. haven't concerned me much as its hard to fry a p4 below 1.7v. A bigger concern are the nb temps if ocing. I wouldn't worry too much about the cpu unless it's above 55C constantly.

Grandpa Dan said:
Temp. tweak? never heard of one. With the incorporation of thermal throttling(+ I'm water cooled)CPU temps. haven't concerned me much as its hard to fry a p4 below 1.7v. A bigger concern are the nb temps if ocing. I wouldn't worry too much about the cpu unless it's above 55C constantly.

hmm little progress,, or not
now ithis creature can make 275fsb with same 2.2.2.5.8 timing with 2.85v however i made little testing with windows based memory test => memtest

and it is giving me errors , even with this 265 fsb .. proximately one error every 500 - 560 % cycles (meaning => tested 440 MB at the fift run (500%) , interesting point is that even it would test smaller part of the memory it gives the same..... on the other hand , this black muskin 3500 memory is rated 433mhz by 2.3.3.6 rating

perhaps the memory- mod would make a difference => 3.3v to mem
chip

btw .. the pap , "mam" does not exist in my bios ...

MAM, memory acceleration mode setting under chipset. memtest86 is booted from floppy, it's a linux kernel not windows based. Try dram burst @ 4. I find it more stable w/ no performance loss/gain either way. AGP/PCI locked? disable things not used via the bios? Try the other rams slots? I'm considering the volt mod...I'm having a stability issue above 300 fsb though. Try to loosen the timimg a little, like 2-3-2-6, disable turbo/mam.

i am using memtest from this site =>
href a <http://hcidesign.com/memtest/>

agp/pci are locked, ofcourse.

so mam is that "turbo" thingy... it is as "standard", i haven't got any boost running it on so...

hmm i installed sandra to check my values, but they seem somewhat low...

memory bandwidth => 3009 / 3022
cpu arithmetic is giving only => 7970 / (2269/4187)

as others have mem band over 6000 , but it might be with dual ram sticks and my windows version is not supporting the "ht" ....

nope .. Millenium istalled .. later perhaps w2 pro if i start serious video editing

Just a note. . the new 1012 BIOS is out for this board. I have never had trouble with this board but you may benefit from the update.

Back