• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Page file?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
your page file is basically exrta memory on your system in case your system ram runs out

Widows then uses harddrive space for ram and stores data on the HD - this is why your system crawls when it uses the sytem file / virtual memory.

most people if they have 512mb of system ram can turn it off - if u have problems - u can turn it back on.

performace gains are min. if the pagefile is off if u never actually use it, but there usualyl are some sligh gains, but nothing to get excited abaout.

a search on google:

Virtual Memory - This is system memory that is simulated by the hard drive. When all the RAM is being used (for example if there are many programs open at the same time) the computer will swap data to the hard drive and back to give the impression that there is slightly more memory.

I have 1 GB, I wonder if I need to run this seperate partition for my swap file.

K_King said:
I have 1 GB, I wonder if I need to run this seperate partition for my swap file.

A seperate partition on the same disk won't improve performance.

And to the original poster, depend on how much RAM you have you don't need the default of 1.5x RAM. I have 512MB or RAM and set mine to 512MB.

To improve performance make the max and min size of the pagefile the same. This will avoid fragmentation.

^^^ true on the drfrag part

and yes - putting your page file ona sperate hard drive helps - on the same drive - seprate partition - same thing really.

also doing thing like putting your temp inet files on a seprate drive helkps as well - less work your main c drive has to do.

here i am going to try a networked temp inet files foldd- that about 8 computers will liekly access - since it will access such small amounts of data - it should not hit performance at all.

Back