• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Defrag!!! software???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"Diskeeper"
http://www.execsoft.co.uk/html/news/reviews/diskeeper/reviews6.htm

lwin.gif

rwin.gif

it just takes a long time to defrag... I used to have a program on my other PC that used to work very quikly, but I dont remember the name....

safemode or command prompt

I've always defraged in safe mode and sometime just in Dos using the command prompt. Safemode will keep from background programs from interuptting the defrag. Give it a try. see what happens.

Re: safemode or command prompt

js341 said:
I've always defraged in safe mode and sometime just in Dos using the command prompt. Safemode will keep from background programs from interuptting the defrag. Give it a try. see what happens.
Thats the same way I do it :D (Safe Mode). Depending on how many programs you typically have running at start up, it can be many times faster. Also take a look in safe mode to see what extra programs are still running (if any).

{PMS}fishy said:

Its made by M$ and its junk just like XP.

Try O and O Defrag.

I think the XP defragger is just a scaled down (WAY DOWN) version of Diskeeper by Executive Software.

You can get Diskeeper 8 from HERE for 29.95. Well worth the price if you ask me.

js341 said:

I will be giving this a try. Sounds like a great idea.

js341 said:

does DOS even have support for NTFS?

Not MS-DOS anyway :) But then the problem becomes that of finding a DOS utility which will work with NTFS drives :D

I'd recomend Diskeeper as well. MS bundled a highly scaled down version of it with XP, but the real thing is quite nice. It has a free "demo" that's missing some advanced features, but if you're just looking to defrag, the demo's great. Also I would recommend O&O and PerfectDisk (AWESOME defragger!).

JigPu

orion25 said:
I think the XP defragger is just a scaled down (WAY DOWN) version of Diskeeper by Executive Software.

You can get Diskeeper 8 from HERE for 29.95. Well worth the price if you ask me.

I beleive you're right. IIRC, Microsoft forgot to include a good disk defragmenter w/ WinNT, so they found one they liked and incorporated it. I think it's based on Diskeeper.

I tried Diskeeper out once. It didn't exactly blow my skirt up. If I defrag, I usually do it before I go out somewhere or before I go to bed. That way, my system is defragged by the time I wake up or get back from where I went.

To the people who reccomended Diskeeper, thankyou very much :)

I've been on the lookout for a decent defragger for ages, neve knew which one to go with :p

Back