• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new watercooling setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pphx459

Registered
Wzup everyone, I am new to water cooling and have a few questions to ask you experts.

Firstly, I was looking forward to getting a Danger Den setup. However, I do not know which components to get.
I want to be able to watercool the processor and the video card but I am not sure which pump/radiator combo would produce optimal results. I was thinking of the eheim 1260 and the Black Ice Extreme II. Is this overkill for cooling the cpu and chipset or is this just about right?

2nd, would the wc setup be able to turn on when the pc is turned on

3rd, what is a reservoir for? Especially on of those huge innovatek ones?

These are the questions I have so far and would appreicate some help.. Sorry for being such a noob :(

Welcome to the Forums

1)Ok if you really want to go with Dangerden I would say get the new RBX block with the insert options. For pumps I've get the Eheim 1250 and for rads I'd get a 1986 Chevette heatercore with two shrounds and 2 120mm fans. For video cards well we need to know what card you'll be cooling. 2) Yes you can get a relay to turn the pump on when the computer comes on. 3) A res is used to hold the water for the pump and to fill the system but you can use a T-line instead. However I find using a res takes less time to bleed the air out of your lines.

Last edited:
Klownin79 said:
Welcome to the Forums

1)Ok if you really want to go with Dangerden I would say get the new RBX block with the insert options. For pumps I've get the Eheim 1250 and for rads I'd get a 1986 Chevette heatercore with two shrounds and 2 120mm fans. For video cards well we need to know what card you'll be cooling. 2) Yes you can get a relay to turn the pump on when the computer comes on. 3) A res is used to hold the water for the pump and to fill the system but you can use a T-line instead. However I find using a res takes less time to bleed the air out of your lines.

Thanks for getting back to me. What are the insert options on this block? I noticed there are 3 holes? Do you think one 120mm radiator would be sufficient as opposed to 2 to cool the video card and the processor? 2 of them does take a lot of space.. The card will be an aiw 9800 pro.

Ok imma summarize everything in a nutshell...

CPU -> RBX
GPU -> Maze 4 or Swifty MCW50 with 1/2ID adapter
Pump -> L30
Heatercore -> Chevette
Plumbing needs -> mcmaster.com Chemical PVC Tubing (clearFlex 60) with 1/8" wall, stainless steel metal clamps, teflon tape etc etc
Fill/Bleed-> T-line if you are tight on space Res if you want to fill/bleed easier

Yes one single 120mm will keep it cool, but two would be better.

You'd be perfectly fine with one 120mm rad. I've got a dual 80mm rad and the worst temps I ever got with both my CPU and GPU on the same loop was 15C above ambient. And that was only because I had a whole bunch of gunk in my WW's channels.

As for turning the pump on and off with the computer, I would suggest the CritiCool Powerplant 2. It fits in a PCI port, plus it has a switch so you can turn the pump on by itself.

Yea PCI relay kit is better interms of easy to use/install but I dont think its worth the money tho... I got Relay kit which cost me 15 bucks and if you make it your self maybe 5-8 dollars

Thanks for all the help guys, one more thing I would like to ask, where do I get all these components at a good buy? Especially the Chevette?

Btw.. sorry about the late response, comp was dissambled..

Thanks, I couldn't find it at NAPA, will have to look somewhere else. Where you guys usually mount it though? I was thinking on the top of the case or is it better at the bottom of the case?

How's the heatercore on DD's website? The chevette heatercore doesn't have 1/2 fittings, how would I accomodate that? If I use fittings adapters will that have negative impact?

Last edited:
Just double check that the GPU block you get will fit on the AIW version of the board, I thought I heard that they were different so regular WB's won't fit. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, just trying to give you a heads up.

So what is the best reasonably priced WB? Are the ratings at OCer's.com indicative of what to expect.

Dang, that setup looks awesome! However, on the heatercore, isn't there one pipe smaller than the other? Also, how do you mount that shroud on the core, wouldn't that damage it since you have to screw into it?

Yes one barb is 3/4" and the other is 5/8". As for mounting the shroud use threaded rods line up the shroud and push them through. Make sure not to hit the rails going up and down.

Back