• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flip-Mode

Hi, I've recently built my own system with a ZM-WB2 waterblock 900 l/h pump and a BIG water tank so I can save on a radiator.
Now when I start my system the temp reported by the BIOS is around 32C witch is quite right but the temp rises around 2 degrees celsius each hour and then it stops at 44-45 and the water is REALLY warm.

I got more room in the water tank should I add more water? Altough there is planty allready.
Any advice? Ideas?

Some pics of the system:

3.jpg

Hey welcome to the forum...

There is a discussion of this in a thread about large res..

The simple answer to your question is Large res will not help your temperature compare to using a radiator/heater core. This is because the CPU is keep adding heat to your water and eventually the water will get hot and the temperature will start to "plateau". It doesnt matter how much water you put in... Over the course of time it will still go toward the same temperature

Go with a radiator

Put that tank of water in the mini fridge :D -clever idea

Seriously. If you arn't cooling with a rad you are doing it with evaporation.

A few ways you can help your setup get rid of the heat would be to place a fan blowing on the tank, or you could make a CHEAP water bong(works better than a rad typically).

Info on bongs here

Put that tank of water in the mini fridge -clever idea
hell yea make a smaller res to fit in ur fridge and just stick it in there that will solve your problems :D but then you would have to make a way for the tubing to get out of the fridge which could be a lil tricky

if you have a larger body of water, and you are not adding in any more heat, your max temp will be lower, how much i cant say, but you could add in say 2 gallons and let us know, also it would take longer to get up to temp, simply because there is more water to heat up, a metal ras will also allow a lower temp, because right now you are only cooling throuht the top, but a metal res will cool through 5 of the sides (dont know if it will cool down with carpet there, but it might.

also with a larg res like you have it is easy to add ICE to the setup to cool down the water temp rapildy, I know with my 2 liter setup if i put in about half the volume of water as ice cubes, i will drop mytemps for about an hour by 10c or more, just becarefull of how low you go with the water temp, because if you drop below the dew point, you can hurt stuff in your sytem, if it is not sealed up to protect against it.

Back