• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling = $$$ increase in electricity bill?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Westside05

Hi

I'm lookin forward to get a new WC system for under $150...
my 900a is way too noisy for me :mad:

I thought about getting a fan controller, duct mod, noise reducing kit and quiet case fans..but they cost more than I expected and I thought..hey,why not just add few bucks and go w/ wc??

I am wondering if I get my w/c sys set up, will it eatttt more electricity than my 900a? because I don't want my wife yelling at me for extra $3424024 on next month bill..:p

Last edited:
It should not make a noticeable difference. The only extra component is the pump. If you get say a 1250 that consumes 28W, and left it running 24/7, the pump alone would probably cost about $1.75/month.

If electricity is your worry, then you can actually make up a decent water-cooling system that will draw about the same power as a high-fan-speed air (HSF) system.

Some of the top fan that are used on air-based heatsinks draw up to 10W of power.

An Eheim 1048, which is a very nice pump for single block use, will draw about 5-6W of power (rated for 10W - but when under load will draw about half that - as do most centrifugal pumps).

A heater-core like a DTek Pro, with a shroud and a 7V speed Panaflo H1A, which is fairly quiet I might add, will draw about 3W of power.

So basically you're looking at 8-9W of power draw for such a system, which is very comparable to a HSF fan.

You can make a substantially more powerful water-cooling system for about 20W of power, such as a Swiftech MCP600, hooked up to a dual fan radiator with two moderate speed 12cm 5W fans attached, and even then you're looking at maybe $1 month extra on your electricity bill over the air-cooling HSF you had before.

Back