• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead bios after sitting in storage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BowerR64

A friend of mine brought over an olde BE6-2 board he moved and had in storage. He dug his box out and was reinstalling windows when his machine went blank and would come back up. I replaced every part testing the ram, video cpu everything and it would not post. I have the same board i upgraded to an NF7 all his stuff works in my board but not his.

I pop out my bios chip and put it into his board and it posted and seems to work ok. So i think maybe the chip went bad trying to clear the cmos. I try a hot swap and try and reflash his chip. After the flash its still dead. Its like the bios totaly failed and will not even take a flash at all.

First thing i noticed right away was his cmos battery was dead, completly drained. I found this to be kinda odd thats when i started thinking the bios chip had a problem.

how can the bios chip be completly dead like that? can they short internaly? maybe this is what drained the battery.

It was weird it wouldnt even take a flash.

All he wants to do is DL the paris hilton videos...lol i know thats what hes doing...lol

Back