• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gamin Install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoSiAc

Registered
So I'm building a new computer (many of the people here have been helping with suggestions on what to do.) Now, I'm at the OS part of the design the computer will only be used for games and thats it. No net surfing no Net messenging no e-mail none of that. The only time it'll use the net is to connect to servers to play games. I can download patches and stuff from the other computer and put them on cd. So how bare do you think I can get a windows install that I don't ever have any problems from it and boot and load times are decent. I've got a pretty good idea of what to not add and etc but any suggestions would be great so I don't miss anything.

You could try it with a very slim version of windows98, could use win98lite to slim it down even further. It would be lightning, but would have windows 98's stability and uptime (not good). Other than that, your looking at something like Win2k.

98 stripped down, perfect for gaming use. Just can't run 24/7 like 2k or XP. or use 2kpro with fat 32 files system and kill the extra services. :D.

J.

winxp hurts performance and in my opinion is a lot less stable than win2000. i personally have 3 winxp pro disk sitting on the shelf unused because I reformatted and installed win2000 on my machines.

winxp uses 90meg of memory no matter what i do to it.

So win2k is the best choice as of right now. I've never messed with that os before is it much different from the 98's or anything?

Go with Win2K Pro and u will be happy, i run me,2k and xp 4 diffrent things but 2k rocks :D

OK are there some sites that give helpful info as to what I should turn off and such so I can have a real good boot and good gaming events

Back