• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Pump Placement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyrix_2k

I know most people put their pumps in the bottom of their case's. I'm wondering if placing the pump in the middle (half-way vertically) would yield a better flow rate. I'm guessing it would decrease the head on the pump? Please let me know your thoughts.

I don't think where you mount the pump will have an effect on the performance. The only way to improve the flowrate of an existing setup is to 1. Make the tubing more straight 2. Decrease tubing length. I think that decreasing the tubing length has more todo with the head on the pump rather than the position of the pump

Ok, So I guess I was wrong. I was just the thinking that it would have to pull the water water up halfway and push it halfway, instead of pushing it all the way. Also, the inertia of the water should help carry it to the pump.

Cyrix_2k said:
I know most people put their pumps in the bottom of their case's. I'm wondering if placing the pump in the middle (half-way vertically) would yield a better flow rate. I'm guessing it would decrease the head on the pump? Please let me know your thoughts.

NOPE! :)

You have forgotten the law of physics ;)

90 percent of pumps used in rigs are cintrifical (sp?) which means that they cannot PULL water it has to be either A: gravity fed from higher location or B: pulled from the same level.

repilce said:
90 percent of pumps used in rigs are cintrifical (sp?) which means that they cannot PULL water it has to be either A: gravity fed from higher location or B: pulled from the same level.
Sure, a typical pump used to water-cool a computer has a terrible time sucking fluid into the inlet (hence the warning that these pumps are not self priming). However, you are forgetting that for a closed loop the pump is only working against the flow resistance caused by the blocks, tubing and fittings. The relative vertical orientation of the components means very little (assuming everything is primed already).

I had mine placed over the fan hole in the back of my case for a bit and it worked fine. The only problem I had was every time I wanted to get to the CPU or the area near it I had to remove the pump. It became a big pain in the *** so I put it on the bottom.

it only means very little if it's a close loop, T-LINE , a resivoir system will probably not work very well if you have it mounted other than towards the bottom unless the resivoir is the same height or higher( it might work but not probably very well) now with a T-Line the pump (like stated above) will push it's own flow into the inlet and work well as long as it's primed real good first

You can have a close loop setup using a reservior... in fact this is the most common application. Really the only open loop setups are those which take advantage of evaporative cooling towers (bongs for those of you who insist on that term... :rolleyes: ).

ILikeMy240sx said:
The only way to improve the flowrate of an existing setup is to 1. Make the tubing more straight 2. Decrease tubing length. I think that decreasing the tubing length has more todo with the head on the pump rather than the position of the pump

As long as there are no sharp bends or kinks (no 90 degree fittings), the straightness of the tubing doesn't really matter.

Well, I'm learning. I still haven't set up a water cooled system yet as I STILL don't have enough money:( But this thread will help when I do get water cooling.

Hey man just take it slow and be patient... I think thats the most important thing... being patient. If you think you've read enough to get going and start buying... you prob have to read more :p besides we will all be here for you if you need anything

Back