• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DirectX reporting incorrect version?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman_sam81

Ok, I have been having this problem for a while now, I think. I say I think because up until just now, when I installed PCMark 2002, several programs I use always reported that I needed to update my version of DirectX...or something to that affect. However, PCMark was the only program that actually told me why. It shows my installed version of DirectX as being 8.1?!?! I have 9.0b installed!!

I don't know why DirectX seems to always do this to me. It has been doing this through 3 format/clean installs now! I have, in the past, tried reinstalling it, as instructed by Microsoft, but nothing changed. I just formatted my computer not too long ago. Maybe a little over a month... The first thing I did after completing the installation (Windows XP Professional) was upgrade to SP1, upgrade DirectX to 9.0b, etc. So I can't begin to imagine that any sort of software could have conflicted with it in some way...

Any ideas?

*EDIT* I did run the Diagnostic Utility. Everything checks out fine! All video, audio and networking tests ran flawlessly. On the first tab, it does in fact say Version: 9.0b

Back