• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is data transfer rate twice as fast in Windows Me when compared to Windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Why is data transfer rate twice as fast in Windows Me when compared to Windows XP

120 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive:

Partition C: Windows XP Pro
Partition D: Windows Me
Partition E: Free storage space

I have always noticed how much faster Windows Me is than Windows XP. Programs open instantaneously in Windows Me while they take a measurable few moments in Windows XP.

From Windows Me: Restoring Partion C from a drive image file on partition E: 800 to 1100 MB/s

From Windows XP: Restoring Partion D from a drive image file on partition E: 400 to 550 MB/s

Why is the transfer rate twice as slow in Windows XP??

EDIT: It isn't, the low Windows XP rates were freak occurances, obviously due to background activity. Sorry.

(AMD 2100+ CPU, Epox 8RDA+ nForce2 mobo.)

Last edited:
One 7200 RPM Hard Drive, partitioned into 6GB C, 5GB D, and 100GB E partitions.

This is about restoring compressed Drive Image PQI backup files stored on E partition.

Windows XP is on C
Windows Me is on D

That way you can restore Windows XP C partition from within Windows Me and vice versa without having to boot from floppies

When you restore these files you can see the data transfer rate speed confirming what I can "feel" when using both operating systems: Windows Me is faster than Windows XP. It's less stable and breaks down more frequently than XP of course, but it's faster.

All I can think of is the compression rating of the files. If ME is less compressed then it will have a faster transfer during uncompression when you restore your PC.

Take a look at how much space XP takes up compared to ME. I don't know the figure but I am guessing more.

What is the drives formatted to? NTFS or FAT32?

Thanks for the suggestion,

FAT32, Went into C: (XP), restored D: from both files and this time it was 900 MB/s for both files roughly.

The original 400 MB/s, was probably due to whatever background activity was going on. I was mistaken, Windows Me data transfer rate is not at all twice as fast.

I don't know, I've been struggling with this since 2001. I installed Me on a different partition "just so I can use software that was not compatible with XP" but since 2001, I used Me for all internet browsing and word processing and XP only for complicating things requiring stability.

I tried to tweak XP in every conceivable way, managed to shorten its boot time considerably and all, but could not shake the feeling that programs don't open 'instanteneously' in XP like they do in Me...

Thanks for the suggestion proving I was wrong about the data transfer rates...

Back