• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed WC kit, comp shuts off after 5 sec

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mkelly09

Registered
Well, i know everyone told me that i should build my own water cooling setup but whatever, i bought a kit for my first time off a friend..

Anyways, its a swiftech h208500A, i installed it all correctly, the relay switch, and the AC adapter and everything..

So i filled it up, put everything back in my case, and then i realize that the tubing is a bit too long to get to the cpu. So, i didnt want to take the mobo out and do the fill and bleed again, so i just kept everything in, emptied it out, and filled it again. except when i took the tubing out of the CPU cooler, some of the coolant was still in the cpu cooler..and it dripped onto my mobo =(

I thought i got it all cleaned up with a cloth, then when i was putting the floppy in i noticed there was a little bit sitting in the floppies IDE slot on the mobo. so after i cleaned that out, i powered everything up, and it started up fine, and just as i breathed my sigh of relief, it shuts off.

When i plug it in, the front power LED comes on, and the pump starts going, but it just shuts off after 5 seconds or so.

I first thought it was because there was no fan, so i put a fan on and held the fan and powered it up. Fan comes on, comp and pump both shut off after 5 seconds again.

Now, im running a pretty crappy ATX power supply(350W i think maybe 300) i think its pretty old. So then i thought maybe i didnt have enough power, however when i unplugged my cd rom, cd RW and HD it still did the same thing. Although, i just realized that the pump isn't even plugged into the PS - its using its own AC adapter directly into the wall.

I'm pretty clueless as to whats wrong with it, and any help is appreciated.

also more info on teh WC kit i got can be found here:
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/H20-8500-0.asp

thx in advance guys

edit; The water was distilled water, and the amount that i dripped was probably the size of your thumbnail

I dont know if it was fried though, because the LED's still come on and the fan came on as well.

Last edited:
Ok long post so not going to read it all but I bet I know how to fix it. Any chance you don't have a fan with RPM sensor on it hooked to fan header 1 or CPU. If not put one on there then start her up. ALso let us know what happens.

I have tried starting it up with a fan in there on CFAN1, what do you mean by RPM sensor? I just used the fan that was attached to my old heatsink.

Reset the CMOS and it didnt help it at all =(

Does the pump start when you plug the power supply cord in or does it start when you press the power button?

Klownin79 said:
Ok long post so not going to read it all but I bet I know how to fix it. Any chance you don't have a fan with RPM sensor on it hooked to fan header 1 or CPU. If not put one on there then start her up. ALso let us know what happens.

I thought the same thing, but then I READ the post where he already tried that. I would make sure the mobo isn't shorting out anywhere. Other than resetting the CMOS and the CPU fan I can't think of anything else. Did the waterblock mount using 4 bolts? If so, could they have shorted out the motherboard?

Christ i think its the mobo =(

I tried again and it stayed on much, much, much longer, in fact it stayed on until i turned it off at the back, then i plugged the monitor and keyboard onto it and started it up again and it shut off almost immediatly..

Unplug the floppy?
In general unplug anything but video abd keyboard to trace down the problem.
IMHO unplug the relay and try to start the comp again.
w/block should be big enough to act as a heatsink for a few seconds to find out wheter the cpu and mb can post.

floppy is unplugged, only thing thats plugged in is the pump, hd, rad & vid card

Now when i start it up it stays on, but it refuses to post.

Let the mb to sit overnight to dry or use a blowdryer.
Wish you luck.
Personally i sacrificed a few processors to w/c before i realized that my air heatsink was chipping procs every time i took it off. I hope in your case it's just some water on the board.

Yeah, thanks for your help guys..

I'll probably just let it sit overnight like you suggested and tommorow if its still not working take everything apart and put it back together peice by peice, try and find out the problem.

I had the same thing happen, isolated the problem to the motherboard and ended up having to RMA the mobo to ASUS

Try reseating the water block. Maybe its some thermal shut off thats kicking in, because the block is not seated.

I agree with PMS.

My brothers setup did the same as yours is doing (in fact - I had almost the EXACT same circumstances too). I FREAKED. After I sat down and calmed myself, I thought through and started one at a time.

Start by re-seating the WB. More than likely, this will solve your problem. If that doesnt work, make sure your system is pumping BERFORE you power on the computer. Then try disconnecting all your unnescissaries. CD ROMS, etc. Hell, you can even unplug your HD just to be sure.... as long as you can post and get through BIOS everything should be fine.

Let us know. BTW, while your WB is off, look at your core and make sure it's not chipped - and check for a good solid contact on your chip/WB by looking at the thermal pastes marks.

omg! You guys are right i think. I noticed that the water block was loose, i mean i got both sides hooked on, and there's these screws on it but their tightened to their max.. yet it stills loose. Im not sure how to get it tighter, but that may just be the problem.. i hope your right =)

thanks! ill try tightening that baby up right now.

Back