• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problems with svchost.exe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff Bolton

hey all.

i just reformatted recently (about 2 weeks ago) and have been having a problem with svchost.exe while getting online.

i have this crappy modem that i bought from compusa for like $25 after my blingin' USR hardware modem bit it from a lightning strike (luckily thats the only thing that died)...anyways i installed it and whenever i'd get online svchost would die and i wouldn't be able to do anything...so for that reason and a few others i reformatted, thinking that whatever issues the modem was having would go away.

well, after the reformat i mentioned above, i get online and the same thing happens. i did a little bit of reading up on svchost by searching and the biggest answer i could come up with was the msblast.exe virus...but that doesn't make sense since this happened the first time i got online after reinstalling windows (totally from scratch, no partitions kept).

it says "svchost.exe has generated errors and will now be closed by windows" or something along those lines. it happens after i've been online for about 15 minutes or so, and while not effecting my ability to generally surf, all of my right-click commands won't work (can't right click to disconnect, so i have to reboot to get the modem offline, can't copy and past by right click, etc). also, windows media player won't work, my pictures folder is so screwed up i can't even view them, outlook won't send or receive mail, and who knows how many other problems. after a reboot it all goes back to normal. i'm really hoping there's some setting i can change somewhere to prevent this from happening, i just don't have any idea what it would be. either that, or its just bad drivers conflicting with windows 2000.

sorry for the long post, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

jeff

that sounds like mblast. If your on 2000 it behaves a bit differently than xp. it wont restart your computer but it basically shuts everthign down. Very annoying. try the patch and report back.

where would i get the patch from?

i basically ruled this out because it happened to me the first time i came online, and it did it before i reformatted too, leading me to believe its a setting or driver issue.

jeff

thats the cleaner the actual windows patch can be downloaded from MS. just got to their download page and type msblast or blaster worm in the download search and you should be able to find it.

Have you looked for errors in the event viewer also while you download the blaster cleaner you might want to get W32.Welchia fixer and run it also i run the welchia fix about every 2 weeks and always get a least 1 file that is infected. Also you can read here
http://www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/359.html it could be code red or blue virus might better run them to be sure

Back