• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot get hyper threading to work on P4P800.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chum

(UPDATE!!!)Cannot get hyper threading to work on P4P800.

I recently upgraded to WinXP Pro...So I thought...COOL, now I can turn on Hyper-Threading...I enabled it in BIOS...but according to Sandra and Device Manager it is still off...what can I do?

Last edited:
Perhaps I should update my Sig...It is a P4 2.6C 800 fsb chip. BIOS has hyperthreading enabled...and it does not change back or anything...how can I tell in Windows XP if HT is actually being used?

Go to your device manager under the control panel and make sure there are two CPU's listed under the processor heading. If so, HT is enabled and being used.

I've seen the answer to this one before. Run a forum search on hyperthreading or hyper-threading and you should be able to find the answer. I know it has something to do with Device Manager though. Sorry can't be of more help.

go to device manager

click on computer type

it should be "ACPI computer" or "ACPI Uniprocessor PC"

go to properties / update driver

select "see all hardware types"

select "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" from the list

reboot

enjoy...

NOTE: this does fail sometimes and leave you with a BSOD, its not a 100% thing, so make sure you back **** up first...

Looks like your HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) is loaded for Single CPU mode only...You need to change this to Multiprocessor HAL.

(1) You can do what nipster suggested

OR

(2) Safest way is do a clean install.

OR

(3) IF that still doesn't pick it up...On booting up with WinXP Setup CD, press F5 or F6 (I don't remember), then select "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" from a list of PC types. This will manually force WinXP into loading a multiprocessor HAL.

Everything else should setup like usual.

Looks like I'll have to do a clean install...the things nipster and stmok suggested do not show up...one more thing maybe...

What if I remove ACPI PC from device manager...then reboot...?

Also, is HT worth the trouble...will I see a performance increase?

Chum said:
Also, is HT worth the trouble...will I see a performance increase?
Yes, during multitasking. You can also do things like run two instances of F@H. In any case you will be getting the most out of your processor, so it is definitely worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Got IT!!!!

One of 2 things fixed it (or a combination of both). Started a repair of XP, on first reboot went into BIOS...varified HT enabled....then on another BIOS screen I noticed these were all disabled...(1.) ACPI 2.0 Support (2.) ACPI APIC Support (3.) AML ACPI Table...I enabled them as well...and after (repair) install Device Manager shows 2 CPUs!!! Performance graph on Task Manager shows 2 CPUs!!!

Do not know now...but it could have been just the ACPI entries in BIOS.

:D :D :D

Back