• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nasty Coolent Stains... The final Word

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oRIDDLERo

There just has to be a better way.... I REALLY hate how my PVC tubing has turned the murky brown color from the water wetter. My system has been up almost 24/7 for 15 months and is getting ready for an upgrade so I plan to replace all of the tubing while im at it. I use tygon for the 1/2" runs and PVC for the 3/8 runs to the block (I use innovatek blocks with the compression fittings on my CPU/GPU/chipset so I can’t use tygon here) The Tygon has taken on a pinkish color, while the PVC looks like brown sewer water is running threw it! (The lowest water wetter concentration possible was used) We really need to put our heads together and find a way to have a nice, clear, non-staining coolant that will not still be resistant to the corrosion caused by dissimilar metals for those of us that value the appearance of our rigs internals. At this point I am willing to consider alternative coolants entirely such as alcohol (as long as the max performance hit is only a few degrees Celsius) to avoid these hideous staining. Lets here some ideas!!!

Try swiftech's hydrox watercoolant solution. I have been using for many months now and it hasn't stained my tygon tubing. I have used WW and Zerex, the Zerex was better at not staining as bad as WW.

Hydrox is a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for. And if you don't change out your fluids too often (no more than 1 a year) it is worth it.

here a pic, hydrox with 5 drops of dye-lite (leak detect fluid)

579725_1218489863988024730_vl.jpg

is that a greenish antifreeze type hue to your water or it that just the case lighting? What color is the swiftech's hydrox? Like I said before i am restricted to PVC tubing for my 3/8" runs so what does not effect your tygon may still effect my PVC. ( woudl really liek to keep my tubes CLEAR for the next year!

ClearFlex60 is a PVC tubing... With that said.. My ClearFlex60 does not stain and I use Zerex SRC... Only problem i have with that is it turns your coolant color to.... flammy pink

the green is the color of the water, the hydrox is also green, and is slightly UV reactive, by adding some of the dye lite, makes it a darker green in the normal lighting and the color you see under uv lights

Back