• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quality vs. Price

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

Okay guys, i have been looking around for water blocks for my WC setup. i had the Swifty5002 in mind and was pretty set on it..
But the cheapest i can find is about 50 bucks and was wondering if anyone could recomend good quality/cheaper price? i saw some nice things from dtek customs.

any sugestions?

In my opinion, the best waterblock when performance, quality, and price are factored in (in that order) is the DangerDen RBX. It's great quality, as all of DDs waterblocks have been for a while. The only downside is it's only available with a plastic top at the moment.

DTek had some quality issues with the whitewater bases, but according to their website, this issue has been resolved... I'd buy a lapping kit if you choose that route, just in case, though.

Swiftech blocks have a good quality reputation as well, although they're somewhat lacking in performance compared to the other two.

The Evo is a good block, too, but it's higher price makes it less competitive now that the RBX has come out. Also, I'm not sure how the current Nemesis stacks up against the RBX, but it is a good quality block at a better price : performance ratio than the swifty. I wonder if Logic's gonna drop their prices soon?

My overall recommandation: RBX.

DTek's TC-4 might also be an ok option, but like Calvin said, the RBX might be your best bet.

Calvin-N-Hobbes said:
In my opinion, the best waterblock when performance, quality, and price are factored in (in that order) is the DangerDen RBX. It's great quality, as all of DDs waterblocks have been for a while. The only downside is it's only available with a plastic top at the moment.

DTek had some quality issues with the whitewater bases, but according to their website, this issue has been resolved... I'd buy a lapping kit if you choose that route, just in case, though.

Swiftech blocks have a good quality reputation as well, although they're somewhat lacking in performance compared to the other two.

The Evo is a good block, too, but it's higher price makes it less competitive now that the RBX has come out. Also, I'm not sure how the current Nemesis stacks up against the RBX, but it is a good quality block at a better price : performance ratio than the swifty. I wonder if Logic's gonna drop their prices soon?

Same here, I'm gonna order it today.
Wish me luck :)

Suma.

theres always the gemicool blocks which are $20 bucks off case-mod. Or directly from the supplier for 40 shipped.

Jeez Im so bad with names... I really dont mean to be rude and I apologize...

The guy with bulldog avatar said that danny from D-Tek has taken care of the bad lapping job with WW... Im not sure if what you will get has quality lapjob tho... If it does its def worth to get a WW over 5002 as WW performs better. If you are planning to go with a pelt later on, go with 5002

LoL, I think thats at least the 2nd time you said "the guy with the bulldog avatar" ~> nikhsub1 ;). Anyway, the slitedge for 40$ is hard to beat, at that price its a steal.

repilce said:
oh yeh i just rememberd, i have to go with something taht has a socket mount option,... no holes on my mobo:mad:

ehhh that sucx. 5002 comes with retention clips for your (*brainfreeze...*) the thing that holes your fan clipy thing (omg my brain is dead i cant remember the name of it arrrrg).

I would stick with a 5002 if no mounting holes are available... If you are not happy later with the temp just add a pelt ( i know i make it sound so easy.... :p)

the temp will be good either way. i mean i'm not gonna get joe's water block from round the corner, but as of right now i dont have alot of OC to cool as you can see my temps with my volc7 arnt that bad, but loud as hell.

Dude, grab a WW from Dtek. Now only 49.99 Its tried and true. Comes with its own hold down, and will give the the most absolute best performance for its price. Hands down..

Just take into consideration the bad base jobs

Anything over 50$ w/ shipping will be well over his range if that price is set.

not exactly, i will throw down some money, but i was just wanting some input on what i might go with otherwise than the 5002 by swifty, and cheaper cost is always a good thing if you can.

From what i've seen around the 5002 will be a good performer for what i have now, but when i get my barton 2500 and try to oc with my n7400 pro (when i get) i'm not so sure how good it will hold up, i dont want to mess with a pelt because of having to worry about condensation.

to change the ideah a little bit, would there be another block that would be a better performer for die contact rather than big surface area for pelt that uses a socket hold down aparatus for around the same or less price range?

Calvin-N-Hobbes said:
In my opinion, the best waterblock when performance, quality, and price are factored in (in that order) is the DangerDen RBX............

I don't mean to play devil's advocate, but how can you say this? I agree with you about the performance and price, but it is WAY to earlier to judge it's reliablity.

The block has shown to be an above average performer, but let's not jump the gun on quality yet. ONLY time will answer that part of the question.

I'd say go with a TC-4 rev2, or go to the classifieds section and score a great deal on a block there.

Back