• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving 2000 Across Systems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Master Xang

I wanted to make an image of a Win2K installation which I could installl on a system with a different hardware setup. And I was sure I once came across a command you could use to make windows 2000 ready to move across to a different spec system or sommat similar.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? otherwise, would an image of another systems 2K find the new hardware on the new system without problem? or can i expect blue screens and crashes?

Oh and hey everyone!

For that to work, the systems would have to have the same motherboard chipset (preferably, the same motherboard). Otherwise I highly doubt it will work.

You would use a tool like Norton/Symantec Ghost to do this.

On the new computer, it should find all the new hardware, but the only thing it is sticky about is the motherboard. I've seen it die because it didn't like a different harddrive brand aswell. WinNT is really picky about it's hardware disappearing.

Edit: and Welcome to the Forums!

Last edited:
I think the prog your thinking of is sysprep.exe located on your windows cd, cant remember the path but just search for deploytools and you'll find it. this removes the various unique things from the comp likes its SID and name and various other things to get it ready for imaging using ghost or alaris(sp)

Back