• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

msredist (and others)? wth is that? ...help please =\

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
working on a clients computer (windows 2000) and I've come across an odd problem (among others). one of them is windows installer asking for a file called MSRedist.. no extension or anything. I searched ms's site and it came up with absolutely 0 results which is rare.

I googled and got hits about various dev libraries and programs which arent on this system and various other foriegn sites. so no clue what this is about, anyone ever seen this before? (format is not an option)

Another problem is that I can't login under normal settings, I have to be in safemode w/o networking or windows hangs while loading the desktop (which I think is a webpage/active desktop). There are dozens of processes running durring that time. A couple that strike me as odd are IPSecMon.exe and SecIP.exe Ok that makes sense, they are running IPSec on the comp. I go into safemod (now that I can actually complete the login) and check the mmc for IPSec. no policies defined. wtf? I check the security templates. they are still at default. What the heck is going on here? I cant troubleshoot remotely because no networking, I cant login normally for the same reason and probably others. Its got PCanywhere(partialy disabled it seems) and two other remotedesktop type apps installed as well. but something is seriously broken. So I need help please. im lost, and again reinstall is not an optoin because I dont know what is loaded nor if there are any encrypted files on this thing (very well possible)

*edit* just finished security analysis comparing to default policies and everything checks out, so nothing is special about it yet it still doesnt run...guess ill try rebooting again =\

*edit2* the extension for the msredist is actually .msi it seems, but that still doesnt help me any =\

Last edited:
did some network juggling and got the windows installer installed, it seems to have fixed that file problem, but there are still major issues with loging in. I have to login, logoff, then login again for it to display the desktop and actually load everything. When not in safe mode. Guess I gotta keep hacking away at it.

Back