• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best OS for Custom PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlipknoT747151

Registered
-= Can't decide...

XP - Win2000

I want a good OS for a PC i wanna build... The question is, should I change OS's... I've always used win2000 because it focuses less on helping you use a computer and more on actual computing. Ive tried windows XP and it just seems to go back to the Win 98/95 philosophy of "This is how you empty the recycle bin" :rolleyes: It seems too user friendly...

But I want a good OS... So... XP or 2000?

9mmCensor said:
Your sig is way to big... go XP or linux.

*nods to both* Xp can be slimmed down to remove a lot of those "how to" features and make it a cleaner OS. if you know linux then go that way. but Id go XP (make sure you got plenty of RAM though. 256min but 512 is better)

ugh , go open source

with that setup, i would go gentoo/debian linux

or (if you dare ;) ) free BSD

fiji said:
ugh , go open source

with that setup, i would go gentoo/debian linux

or (if you dare ;) ) free BSD

i tried freeBSD and debian linux and i want to say this.

these things are HARD to setup

if you want to waste all your times, going freeBSD or and DEBIAN is a wonderful choice

I think it really depends on what you use your computer for. 2000 is great on focusing on work, such as word processing, presentations, and software uttlites but i just dont think it really like gamers, and it is so picky with drivers. XP Pro w/ SP 1 can also do amazing things and you can tune down the help menus and the kiddy controls can be optimized for more advanced users, and its good with handling hardware and drivers, also for making movies and gaming. But everyone is different this is just my opinion

pik4chu said:

thats the point :rolleyes:

he said that they were hard, not that he had limited experience with them

if you read the manual, and have previous experience or have a friend that has done it before debian will go just as fast , if not faster than a win XP install

now gentoo on the other hand, will probably take a whole day to set up, with X /kde(i hate g++ lol), or gnome (be quite a bit faster than kde)

I'll go W2000 is more stable if is use for a working enviroment. But if you want to play games and download stuff XP pro.

-= MY FINAL DECISION =-

Im goin 2000
I know this seems a little bad because this is going to be a gaming machine... its just, ive become so warm with win2000... PLUS i like the connectivity that comes with win2000... i just feel its a better choice over all... its the winNT kernal which i feel is SO MUCH more stable then the 95/98... Plus... XP = Unfamiliar territory for me...
i also like 2000 cuz it regonises my drives :-D (just boot up n the drives in MY COMPUTER) :-D

SO... win2000 for my custom PC :-D

Well from My understand XP Pro / XP Pro Corp is the gen. of the kernel used in 2000. If I am wrong plz let me know cause that is what I read, not sure if that is right or not and that XP Home's Kernel is more like that used in Win98.

XP Pro is a descendant of Win2k. XP Home is just a stripped down (featurewise) version of XP Pro.

All three use the NT kernel:

NT 4.0 - Server OS, Win 95/98 is the client, with a different kernel.
NT 5.0 - Win2k
NT 5.1 - WinXP Pro/Home
NT 5.2 - Win Server 2003

Windows 95/98 died. There will be no more OS's based on it, as far as I know.

edit: error in versions

Last edited:
NewBlood said:
I think it really depends on what you use your computer for. 2000 is great on focusing on work, such as word processing, presentations, and software uttlites but i just dont think it really like gamers, and it is so picky with drivers. XP Pro w/ SP 1 can also do amazing things and you can tune down the help menus and the kiddy controls can be optimized for more advanced users, and its good with handling hardware and drivers, also for making movies and gaming. But everyone is different this is just my opinion

Picky with drivers? Not friendly for gamers? What the heck????

Rafjr00 said:
Well from My understand XP Pro / XP Pro Corp is the gen. of the kernel used in 2000. If I am wrong plz let me know cause that is what I read, not sure if that is right or not and that XP Home's Kernel is more like that used in Win98.

Actually, I always understood it as 2000 = NT 5.0 an XP = NT 5.1

Back