• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I want to hook everything up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliteoneXP

I am pretty much a watercooling newb but ive learned alot from reading this forum and checking out some pics. I have a hydor L30 pump, a dtek WW block, black ice extreme rad, and a dtek bayres. From my understanding it should go Pump -> Rad -> Res -> block then back to pump. Is this correct or should it go pump -> rad -> block THEN res? Any help would be appreciated.

I dont think it matters on the pefromance as long as water is going from the rad... Just choose whichever has the shorter tubing lenght. Also, I believe going from block -> res -> pump bleeds easier I might be wrong on this tho...

I go pump-> res -> rad -> block. This way the pump sucks the hot water out of the block, and the water goes through the rad last to cool it before it hits the block. Just my thoughts, I havent tested it other ways though.

I doubt it matters too much though.

well i was just thinking if the water comes from the rad to the res it hits a larger mass of water meaning the cold stuff that just came from the rad isnt always thrown right to the block. This may sound dumb but it was just somethin that went through my head.

I believe most have their block after their rad due to the water being the coolest when exiting a rad.

Yeh, I would put the rad right before the block. ( since that is coolest water ) I put the res before the rad, mostly to let the heat from the pump spread across the water more evenly.

The smoothest routing of tubes ( no tight bends ) would probably be the best route though.

rad before block is the most prefered way (i think), but IMO putting the res between wouldn't change performance, as long as there is no heat source on the res then the liquid should remain the same temp until it comes in contact with the block. I agree with the others here, the shortest and smoothest route is probably the best.

Although putting the res tween the pump and block might impede flowrate. ???

Last edited:
If you are using a reservoir, it should always be placed so that it is feeding the pump. Even those worthless bay reservoirs are best when used in this manner.

Back