• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just a tip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

many of you may have already figured this out but for those of you who have not...

instead of buying or taking the time to wire something that makes your pump turn on at the same time as your computer just plug them both into the same power strip.

shut you computer off using the power bar. that way when you turn the computer back on you must turn power strip which also turns on the pump.

just an idea for those of you worried about forgetting to turn on your cooling before your computer

TheGreySpectre said:
many of you may have already figured this out but for those of you who have not...

instead of buying or taking the time to wire something that makes your pump turn on at the same time as your computer just plug them both into the same power strip.

shut you computer off using the power bar. that way when you turn the computer back on you must turn power strip which also turns on the pump.

just an idea for those of you worried about forgetting to turn on your cooling before your computer

Hehe, good tip. There's probably a lot of people already doing it like that, but also many people not realizing this solution. I've used a power strip ever since I started WCing and it's worked great. It's also pretty elegant, without the need for extra switches etc.

Yeah that's great, but 2 problems:

1) When a 2 year old unplugs the pump, or if you're drunk and forget to plug it to the strip...

2) Depending on your pump system it can really heat up your water since your rad fan is off.

I favour a relay as I just want to turn the PC on by front panel push, and shut down via windows without having a separate power switch to switch on and off. I took it a little further though as I wanted it to be as near 100% idiot proof as possible, and so made a double protection system that firstly wont allow the PC to boot if the pump, (and only the pump), is not plugged in, and a second that monitors flow and shuts down the system if it stops or drops to low.

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/100

its also fairly easy to make your own relay with really cheap parts from radio shack or something of the sort. That is what I did. Am also going to wire it into my power supply at the 120V in so taht theres only one power cord going to my computer.

#Rotor said:
hehe I just leave the pump on Permanently...

Same here, but I leave mine on connected to the same power strip so no one can turn my pc on without the pump :eek: My rig is always on unless I'm upgrading anyway.

Depending on your pump system it can really heat up your water since your rad fan is off.
I solve that problem by having my 120mm fan connected to the power strip as well...it's an old solid steel frame fan from like 1986 that runs on 115v. I found it at a garage sale...$.25. :) It got better temps (3C) than my Panaflo @7v, and only a little bit louder.

I solve that problem by having my 120mm fan connected to the power strip as well...it's an old solid steel frame fan from like 1986 that runs on 115v. I found it at a garage sale...$.25. It got better temps (3C) than my Panaflo @7v, and only a little bit louder.

...then you have dust buildup which clogs air filter and/or rad fins causing performance loss

I suppose if you're trying to find non existent aliens you have a "reason" to leave it on :p, I personally turn things off when I'm not using them, like my oven, car, TV & the PC as well. It's less wasteful, and I'm hopefully reducing the possible risk of being woken up by fire.........or not as the case may be

lol fishy, I was just about to say that till I saw your post

FOLD ON!
Jon

unless your folding or downloading, or doing something turn your computer off saves money on electricity. you can later spend that money on better computer parts.

Can someone post a link on how to build a relay

TheGreySpectre said:
unless your folding or downloading, or doing something turn your computer off saves money on electricity. you can later spend that money on better computer parts.

Can someone post a link on how to build a relay

Ven0m (yes surprisingly, I remembered your name :D) had posts about building your own relay. Go to a home-depot and ask for a relay. You can get a 12v molex from any computer-store (try radio shack as well). You also need a A/C socket.

- and + from the relay goes to 12v source(your computer)

Blackwire from the pump goes to COM of relay
White wire from pump goes to left prong (with middle prong on top) of AC socket
Greenwire goes to the middle prong of AC socket

Wire from N/O to the right prong

Hehe, btw - there was a guy with nice external box (COOLTURK).

Instead of using MOLEX & 12V relay, he used USB & 5V relay :)

And you can sue 1-circuit and 2-circuit relays.
1-circuit is like in ILikeMy240sx's post, 2-circuit - similiar, but you use both wires to pump/fan and connect them to proper lines.

Difference in 1/2 circuit is like $0.50 and it's got rather higher safety - for example there's no risk of electric shock, even when doing things on cables (of course after relay), but it's hard to find (at least was for me) 5v 2-circuit realy 220v-ready.

I've made a power relay for my bro's pumps lastly and it was fun :) ("made a power relay" is not equal to "bought power relay and connected it" :D ) It's connectd to molex now, but maybe I'll add it to USB or COM or something else after moddinf operating voltage in realy, or maybe I'll make some kind of flow-o-meter and connect it with power relay to 3-pin fan connector on mobo for bling :)

So many things to do and not enough time :D

Good idea TheGreySpectre. But newer power supplies have the feature of running for a while after the comp is turned off to get rid some of the heat. Having both comp and pump on a power strip will turn off the ps immaturely.

Anyone has a thought on this?

Back