• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

free comp, but all users have password (xp)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phatcivic97

im trying to help a friend, he recieved a free computer, but there are 3 users, all are passworded so he cant get into the desktop.
how can he get around them and get into windows...
os is XP...

thank you...

** Edited by Forum Moderartor RED Hot Machine **

Discussion of hacking is not permitted

If it was free, there's not really any data on there he's worried about losing. Just wipe the thing and re-install.

i helped somebody with this kind of problem. All you have to do is SEARCH this section for it

:)

well the prob is, he sets the bios to boot from cd, and it just wont do it. thats why he called me, he attempted to reformat, but for some reason it wont boot from cd.

i thought there had to be a way around the passwords, and not reformat...

i tried to search but as usual you cant search using small words like xp user passwords....

its a desktop right? it has to be somewhat new since it can run xp, that means it can boot off a cd. if not make boot floppies off the xp disc and use those. or any disc with ATAPI drivers and go from there.

** Edited by Forum Moderartor RED Hot Machine **

Discussion of hacking is not permitted

i thought linux and ntfs didnt play well together

ntfsdos will do it. which Id bet is the one your using, but ya, in order to get a version that will also write to ntfs you gotta pay for it. But I still refer you to my first reply about booting.

recovery console is FREE and available to winxp users.

where do you want to go today ????

well we got past the boot from cd deal, (im doing this over the phone) he didnt tell me there was 3 cd drives in there, the one he was trying didnt even have the IDE hooked up too it... lol
so hes formatting it now... thanks for the input

powerme said:
recovery console is FREE and available to winxp users.

where do you want to go today ????

recov cons cant change pwd's and you have to have admin pass to get into it anyways.

Either way Im glad you got it working phatcivic97 :)

*edit* recov console also cant write to anywhere but the %systemroot% dir unless you set it up before hand to do it differently. And you cant access floppies or cd drives from it either unless you set that up too.

wasnt this thread locked

and have we eleminated just format and install xp as an option?

Welcome to the forum :)

Ask your friend if (s)he can get in touch with the person who gave them the computer, see if they can dig out an admin password for it. Failing that you could try to get a password recovery disk, again you will have to ask the person who set thew passwords on the computer if they made one. If you can get one then you can recover the profiles. Failing those two choices you might have to format and re-install.

Back