• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

clone dynamic harddrive possible ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hotlove

Registered
Hi folksss...

Is it possible to clone a dynamic harddrive ??
One of my customer want to clone a main primary
hard drive that have Windows Server 2003 on it
and that hard drive is setup as a dynamic as detect
by Partition Magic 8.0. I use Drive Image 2002 to clone
it but it give it an error>>> critical error: abort, retry, ignore ?
If I either press retry or ignore this is the continue error
message >>: causeway error09: unrecoverable program
and the computer reboot.
Anyone have any idea how to clone this drive with this
setup ? Thanks in advance folks.

HOTLOVE

I dont think you'll be able to unless you build a new win2k3 machine, put the drive in that machine as a slave then try imaging it from there. since only 2k3 can read 2k3 dynamic drives

Hi pik4chu...

Thanks for replied. But is there any other technique
the one U describe below ? Any software that can
do it.

powerme said:
use NONE-IMAGE software to backup. I mean COPY 1 by 1 file

hmm I thought drive image did that.. oh well. but ya what you would need is a something that can do a bit for bit copy of the drive. something that doesnt care about format or file system

*edit* oh wait... does this computer work? is this copy for a backup or something? then what you can do is put in another disc (identical size) then use disc management to create a disk mirror. this will copy the disc to the other one. then break the mirror and remove the disc, done.

Hi folkss...

pik4chu...Well my customer want to clone this primary
hard drive and put it in a new faster server computer system.
I know that I must install new driver for the hardwares
but it okay. Oh... they want to put on a more bigger capacity
hard drive, the current one is only 80 gb, they want to upgrade
to 120 gb for now.

HOTLOVE

err.. try this instead.. simply backup ALL the data on the drive to a basic disk. then install 2k3 on the new comp and restore from backup. dynamic drives dont really move well between OS'es, even if they are the same

Try to use DImage7,it support win2000 and XP,when I used DI2002 with win 2000 I had errors ,simply put D.Image 2002 will not work with win 2000,it may be the case with 2k3?

Do a backup

My best opnion is to do a backup and the registry backup, then install w2k3 in the other computer and restore the backup. You can do a image but trnsfering it to a diffrent config machine is not a good idea especailly to a server. You expect it to be 100% perfect not to a gabled with diffrent drivers. So my best opnion is to install and restore the backup.

Back