• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question ====>please read

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yoha

Hello, I'm pretty new to wc so i bought a swiftec h2o-8501a kit
after a few weeks i wanted to change to a bigger radiator.
I bought D-tek pro radiator which is significantly bigger than my previous MCR80 Micro radiator from swiftec. With MCR80 at room temperature of 26C my idle temp is 45C. Now with D-Tek at same room temperature idle temp is 40C. I only use WC to cool my CPU. Cpu OC from 2400xp to 2.31GHZ with 11.5x200 Vcore at 1.87. I thought D-tek will drop more than just 5C any suggestions? thanks
Also setup is pump > CPU > Radiator > pump
Radiator mounted at lower front
need suggestions thanks

Wilson

wow thanks for fast reply, i'm using one fan shroud, sucking air from radiator, i'm using a 68cfm fan i bought few months ago to cool my radio car batteries during charging. the fan is all metal not sure if that will reduce airflow because of its weight. I'm doing research on a new 120mm fan. do you think the temperature is reasonable?? thanks

a 5C change is pretty good. a more powerful fan and/or shroud would almost certainly make even more of a difference.

and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

A push/pull shroud and fan setup could improve it also. Like Dodgeviper's:

Finish_Core1.jpg

From this thread: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148257

If you run your setup this way you get better results.

Pump - Rad - CPU - Return.

That way the cool water from the rad goes straight to the CPU. Might not make a big difference but you should see some.

You don't want it going to the CPU from the pump, becuase the pump does put out some heat.

The in-loop water temperature varies by a fraction of a degree... I don't see how doing that will make any difference.

Concerning the small difference it might make, I don't see how it could be observed by an in-socket thermistor.

Think about it... Is the water before the pump going to be a whole degree colder than the water after the pump? Water has a very high heat capacity - which means it takes a lot of energy to raise the temperature of water by a single degree C.

IMOG said:
The in-loop water temperature varies by a fraction of a degree... I don't see how doing that will make any difference.

Concerning the small difference it might make, I don't see how it could be observed by an in-socket thermistor.

It all adds up.

Its just the way that I have always done it. I can't hurt to try, and in any case the temps are not going to get worse.

It doesn't add up though, with all the same components changing the order does not change the rules of addition and subtraction.

You are right however, you've been doing this and it doesn't hurt to try something different... There are more variables that could make a difference that we are overlooking.

Changing the order does not have a significant impact. Unless you have a 100w pump or something if you stay under 40w the heat added shouldn't be that much

edit - but i do run mine pump -> rad -> blocks -> pump... doing it this way just because it makes me feel better but when I let the pump run 24/7 for 4 straight days without blocks installed, the blocks did not get hot at all... It stayed very cool to the touch so I doubt pump adds enough heat to have an impact on the performance

Have you check whether the cpu wb is loose or not? What thermal paste are you using? Maybe your water flow is reduced due to the new radiator but I don't think this is it.

Some of the guys are right, setup your wc system to pump->rad->cpu->pump. Use a T-Line instead to reduce water flow restriction.

Here is a good quite fan:
Panaflo M1A Panaflo M1A 86.5 CFM @ 35 db

Keep us posted man. Good luck!

thanks for all the replies, The reasons why i think the temp will be decrease 5C or more is because on swiftec website it said that adding a second MCR80 micro radiator will decrease the temperature by about 5C to 7C at minimum. I assumed that one D-tek radiator will out perform two MCR80 MIRCO radiators.

Here is the exact line their website "A second radiator installed in such a way will afford a CPU temperature improvement of 5¢XCto 7¢XC at the very minimum." Any possibility that their numbers are wrong? I'm using Arctic Silver 2 btw.
thanks

Wilson

Last edited:
i wouldnt be suprised at all if their numbers were exagerated a little. a 5c drop in temperture is nothing to be ashamed of, its pretty good actually. if you want to, it might not be a bad idea to try cleaning the chip and waterblock, and reapplying them. sometimes that helps.

Back