• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooling woes= confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aeon Flux

I NEED TO CONTACT SILVERSINKSAM, AS I HAVE A OUTST
I have been thinking of going to water cooling for sometime. After reading through the forums I have noticed that people range in tempatures from 28c to 45c. What is the difference in peoples rigs? Why are some people reaching room tempature while others are reaching tempatures that my cheapo volcano 9 heatsink manages to do? I am wondering if people are just doing it wrong or even with a cheapy water cooling kit will I reach better temps then my volcano 9. I would like to switch to water cooling but dont want to spends hundreds of dollars and dont want to hook something up if Im only going to get 5 deggrees better then my volcano 9. My primary goal is to eveentually use a pelt but for now Im looking for a better cooling method in general.

some of those people with really low temps either aren't overclockign much or they have a really low ambient temp. the people that have higher temps might not have the best stuff but they might also have higher ambient temps or they simply overclock to a much higher level.

Uusually, when you look at other peoples CPU temp, you need to look at many different things to figure out if they are running a good setup or not.

1. Ambient Temperature
2. How many blocks in the system
3. Whether properly mounted
4. Thermal compound properly applied
5. No bubbles in the system
6. How much they are OCing

There are just so many variables... youd have to be more specific

and you would have to be there with him/her , to be able to know all these things.

Temperature is hype... Similar in aim as the Megahurts thing with CPU's

We are not scientific enough in our own homes and on our own computers to warrant a temperature reading from anywhere in the system, with whatever apparatus we choose, to be anything other than a number representing nothing of value.

What I like to see is High performance Liquid rigs, running at
50ºC and above... because that tells me they are being used properly.. sitting at 32ºC means I'm not overclocking enough...

#Rotor said:
and you would have to be there with him/her , to be able to know all these things.

We are not scientific enough in our own homes and on our own computers to warrant a temperature reading from anywhere in the system, with whatever apparatus we choose, to be anything other than a number representing nothing of value.

50ºC and above... because that tells me they are being used properly.. sitting at 32ºC means I'm not overclocking enough...

I agree with what you are saying but I doubt any CPU has the OCing capabilities to reach 50C with good WCing... But I 100% agree with you on the fact that you should get as much out of your WC as possible

Ahh, and there's one more factor that is not mentioned enough. Motherboard temperature reporting is horribly inaccurate. I've seen my full load CPU temps drop 10C by just changing motherboards!

Also dodgy temperature sensors. Even good average WC blocks only have a C/W of about .20 that would mean a 20 degree rise over ambient with a 100w load. And thats with a perfect rad. So with a really decent system and a CPU putting out 100w's of heat, I doubt you would see temps much lower than 40 degrees with ambient temperatures of about 20 degrees.

So true NeoMoses, I changed from a Palimino to a T-Bred B and didn't change temps at all. Those in socket thermisters are crap.
Also, ever notice how your temps change just from a Bios update? It's changing from one guess to another...

NeoMoses said:
Ahh, and there's one more factor that is not mentioned enough. Motherboard temperature reporting is horribly inaccurate.

Especially ABIT !!!... :bang head
had to let it out, there.... :)

I have a Shuttle AN35N-Ultra NF2 mobo with a XP1700+ tbred-b running at 2400mhz (12x200) @ 1.750v. I only have one waterblock right now (Maze3), ViaAqua 1300, Chevette HC, 1/2 Clearflex, 120X38mm Sunon on the HC.

The mobo reports my case temp at 38-39C at idle, my CPU temp at 39-40C at idle, and my PWM temp is also 39-40C at idle. The ambient temp is between 24-26C. My CPU and PWM load temps fly up to 50C and above with prime95, the case temp does stay around 40C.

I can put my finger on the back of the cpu waterblock and it is cool to the touch, not even warm. I have remounted the block a few times and I don't see any difference. So I figure this is a case of bad mobo temp readings. One of these days I need to get a temp sensor and see what it thinks the temps are.

Good points. Switching from an epox to abit my temps dropped over 10c. BTW if your block is warm, isn't your rad not doing its job? In that case you'd want your block to be cool.

I see all of your points. I noticed before how bad thermisistors are when I switched from an asus board to a micro star board. I do have to give micro star the benifit of the doubt though that they are relitivly close in there tempature monitors. When I do real system benchmarking and analysis I use my dads in-fer-red thermometer to check the tempature. All though it is extremely difficult to measure tempatures with this (because you can not directly see the cpu to measure the tempature) I can get much better estimates with this tool.
I have acuratly monitored tempatures with slot cpus with these tools. With a stock heatsink and fan and a fan mounted on the back of the slot A athlon cracked open you can get tempatures down to 90 degrees farhenheit.
Anyway back to the point i understand all of your points. I am still weighing the possibility to getting a water system. My first system though I would like to buy a kit and go from there. A local store near here sells the aquiras 2. What do you people think about those pre-made kits?
Side not: Hopefully someday my spelling will improve. I think these thermisistors are having an impact on it.

The Aquarius 2 is an example of a kit that you will probably won't benefit much from compared to a quality heatsink. I believe that kit is for 100-120$ (quick search results). Anyway, for that kind of money, I think BeCooling.com has a much better deal with their 1/2" AquaStealth kit starting at 95$. (http://www.aquastealth.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9) The kit at that price is decent, but you can configure the kit to you liking. The part you might want to upgrade is the rad and maybe add a res since it's your first time.

I gaurentee you that this kit will get you a helluva lot better results than that Aquarius 2 package, and you'll be happy with it for a while or however long you can calm your urge to upgrade.

Edit: As I was posting, Soja, you have to hop in and get the Aquastealth kit in before me... :)

#Rotor said:

I see the point you are making here, very good. You passed. B+.

It is true, many overclock cheaters use wrong CPU temp sensor and use Underclocked system speed to SHOW OFF low CPU temperature which I think is completely B.S....... I'm against that as well.

NEVER DO THAT B.S... if you are a pro overclocker who want to show off CPU temperature.

Underclocking the system is big "no no".

Even the default speed is a big "no no".

Instruction #1: Overclock to the limit, with extra Vcore(as needed and use proper temp monitoring to show off your CPu temperature... that's professional.. and legit. No B.S. crap...

Back