• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

House Temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes. That is the air that you are passing thru your radiator to take away the heat from the water. Cooler ambient temps will have a positive impact on your overall cooling. How much of an impact is probably up to debate, but I am not going to start it. :)

so if its 75 degrees in the house would the water coming out of the radiator would be the same temp. What are some temps you guys have ???

The water will probably never be exactly the same as ambient temp in a radiator. Most likely a couple degrees higher unless you have massive air going through a decent sized rad. My water is about 3c+ w/ 7v'ed 120mm M1A panaflos, but I couldn't tell you the temps right now since my probe ran out of batteries :(

Basically Soja and nik are just saying that their water temps change along with the change in ambient temp. If the ambient air temp goes up or down one degree, the water temp will show the same change. They are not saying the temps match, just that they see a 1-to-1 relationship between the temps.

Ambient room temperature is one of the easiest things you can alter to improve your system temperatures. Your entire case will benefit from a cooler room. This is the single reason why overclocking is so big in the Yukon.

My water stays pretty close to room temp. If my A/C went out, I'd have to seriously drop the OC on my systems... Texas gets hot ^_^.

<ACIDBURN> said:
Does the temp in your house a variable on how cool the water gets in the system????

chilled water is ALWAYS the same temp, unaffected by ambient

Re: Re: House Temp

brucoman said:

chilled water is ALWAYS the same temp, unaffected by ambient

Unfortunately it's far more complex than that. There will always be some effect from the ambient if you are chilling below ambient temps. If the difference is small then it may not be easily measurable, but as soon as the chilled coolant leaves the chillier it will be effected by the temperatures around it, (whether they be higher or lower), to some degree depending on again many other factors like heat transfer, insulation etc. In theory if your ambient in the room changes then so will your coolant and CPU temps but bear in mind there are lots of specific factors in the real world and it may not always follow this rule to the letter, especially when you consider the room ambient will be different depending on where you measure it. It can be as much as 6C cooler at floor level compared to the desk for instance, and there are draft points, hot spots, etc etc

Last edited:
edit: BladeRunner pretty much summed up what I was typing =p. Chilled water is *not* a guaranteed temperature. Mine varies all over the scale.

You are of course correct Bladerunner.

However, I was referring to the water tank/res/whatever. If actively cooling the tank it does not change temp, only longer run times for the compressor.

I would love my own Bomb tank... trying a simple variation - 50' 1/2" ID copper tubing coiled submerged in a basement sump as a "pre chiller"

Soja said:
Isn't water and ambient temps proportional? or cpu even?

my cpu temps, as well, ride tight with the ambient temps... thats why i moved to the basement, its an easy ride down here ;)

Back