• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please help !@!@ critical boot up file overrighted.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

ladies gentelman. heres my problem.

i have windows 2k installed updated and etc. well i found this iso that allot of users claimed was a version of windows 98 that could be booted on a ram disk. so i said what the hell.

ran this puppy. worked. yes it actually worked.
but here is my problem. it told me a required file could not be found, so it said writting to disk.

win 98 ran up and etc.

when i ran up my windows 2k again. it said no operating system found, i ran dos up and it shows all my folders/files still there. i am assuming it just overwrite a super required file.

what do i do? would windows recovery disk work? if possible would erd commander work?

i could use any help, and please post any thing that could help me. too many files on there to just reformat and reinstall.

thanks for reading

jeremiah needs your help

easiest is probably to make a new installation of windows 2000 onto the same partition, into a different folder, I usually use "windelet", and then edit the boot.ini file so that it boots from your previous installation under "WINNT".

If boot.ini was not touched, then right after that first stage of install (when it finishes copying all those files), you'd be able to choose your previous installation again, rather than continue with the new install.

hope that helps.

shiyan would you hit me up on aim, icq, or any of the above? ill send a pm with the info

fixed it. ran repair console

typed fixboot

and she loads again

thanks everyone for the help

jstutman said:
...i found this iso that allot of users claimed was a version of windows 98 that could be booted on a ram disk.

Any chance you could point me in the direction of this windows version?

Back