• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

black ice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabrielsurf

Disabled
is black ice extreme a pretty good radiator with a 3134 btu?
would this do a good job??
or are ther better rads or heatercores for cheaper?? i don't know what i should use

and what size hoses is 1/2 inch enough or thicker is better?

I have heard from other users that it is a good radiator.

You can get a heatcore core for much less, and I think it may perform a little bit better. Most people use 1/2" or 3/8" Tubing. I do not think that there is a need for anything larger than 1/2".

I would personally get a heatcore from an auto parts store for $17 and put some barbs on it yourself. Buying the premade ones take the fun out of it, and add a good amount of cost.

Get the 87" Chevette heatercore, it fits in the front of most cases and it performs very well. You would have to attach your own barbs, but its easy. PM me if you want my guide.

scanido said:
For the size nothing can touch the Black Iccce Extreme. If size doesn't matter then a Pro core will obviously be better!

... i think you are forgetting the single-pass HC... that wil outperform any BIX. Actually, chevette will putperform any BIX, rad, etc etc

If you do not want to pu barbs, JB weld, you can just cut the exixting barb until theres about 1" left. Boil your tubes until it gets soft, stretch it out with your figers a bit and shove it on to the barb you just cut. Metal clamps on it to secure it.

can you find a heatercore thats smaller then the BIX and compete with its btu? i bet it would be hard. BIXs are hella small.

I use a Black Ice Extreme. Its more expensive, but mine seems to work fine. I like that the mounting spots are already on the rad. It makes mounting a little easier, i think anyway. A heater core would be cheaper and maybe a bit better.

Raider84 said:
can you find a heatercore thats smaller then the BIX and compete with its btu? i bet it would be hard. BIXs are hella small.

When the space is an issue, I find BIX to be more practical than a HC. The issue was that HC performs better than a BIX and there is no question about that. If the space is your major concern then I recommend a BIX.

Back