• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Boot System (W98+W2K) , how do I get rid of Win98

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exiler

I've got Win98se in C Drive and Win2000 Pro in Drive D. They are dual boot in 1 HDD.

Does anyone know to get rid of Win98 totally without harming Windows 2000? I'm all ok with keeping W2K in D Drive, no need to make a move to C or anything.

start/programs/administrative tools/ computer management. in the left payne click "disk management". on the lower right payne click the partition you want to get rid of, right click and click format.

there you go win98 is gone and you have a free space to do with what you wish

you could remove the partition completely with the gnu fdisk/parted/cfdisk etc

then reformat the space with fat/ntfs whateva

twump said:
...click the partition you want to get rid of, right click and click format...

fiji said:
you could remove the partition completely with the gnu fdisk/parted/cfdisk etc

STOP!

If you format C:, or delete C:, you won't be able to boot anymore!

windows 2000 will always store its boot files, most of which are hidden, in C:. this is why you must not format or delete C:.

Just delete the "windows" folder, and "programs" folders, and any other folders you don't need anymore.

Just make sure you still hold onto your favorites, desktop, and documents.

If you deleted or formatted C:, you'd still be able to fix it, by installing a new installation of 2000, then editing the new boot.ini file, but that's just messed up....

Last edited:
Lol, yeah I knew just from reading that thats a "no, no".

Since I dont want to get rid of C drive, since the boot files for W2K are there. I just need to know which files to keep for W2K boot files. I know to keep my favourites and program files and all.

My boot.ini reads:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINNT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Windows 98 Second Edition"

So do I just delete:
C:\="Windows 98 Second Edition" ?

yup, delete that line from boot.ini, plus the folders that you don't want any more.

the main files are boot.ini, ntldr, NTDETECT.COM, and possibly IO.SYS, CONFIG.SYS, MSDOS.SYS (showing up as 0 bytes)

once you only have one possible OS in boot.ini, it will just skip the timeout.

Back