• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some weird partitioning questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venesectrix

First of all, I'm using a Seagate 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA hard drive. I have my drive in two main partitions: one with linux (redhat), and another with Windows XP Pro. The problem is I can't find my XP activation code, so I decided to just delete XP altogether and install 2000 instead. Is there a way to repartition my drive or erase the XP partition without disturbig my linux partition (I have my redhat set up just the way I want it, so i don't want to have to reinstall everything again)? Could I just install 2000 and when it asks where to install to select my windows XP partition (basically install 2000 over XP)? Would this get rid of XP? Can I use Seagate's Seatools to erase my XP partition, or would that erase all my linux data also?

PS- I didn't know which forum to post this in so I also put it up the the alternative OS forum :p

First, go into redhat and make a bootdisk, and test it.

If you just pop in your Win2k disk, and install, you can choose to delete the partition and recreate it. (Make sure it's the XP partition that you are deleting & recreating)

As long as you don't blow away the wrong partition, then your only worry is that windows will take over your bootsector. If linux doesn't boot after this (which is very likely), use the bootdisk created before, boot linux using that, and have linux re-take the boot sector. (reinstall lilo/grub onto the mbr)

Should be able to boot from your Linux disc and format that partition, probably able to boot from the Windows disc and should ask what partition to put in also, could use fdisk and reformat that partition?

n00bish question: how do I create a boot disk if I already have Linux installed? I made one when I installed it, but I lost that one :(. Also, once I'm in Linux, how do I reconfigure grub so that I can dual boot?

the command "mkbootdisk" should do it.. there also should be an option for it somewhere in kde or gnome that'll do it.

If grub was what you were using to boot winxp and linux before, no extra config should be necessary. (as you are reinstalling over that partition, and everything should point there anyways). Just run grub, enter the options:
grub> root (hd0,0)
[output]
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

That's assuming your linux boot partition is your first partition (hda1), and your harddrive is primary master. If not, then half-type the command and press tab for options.

if you can't find the activation code but are able to access to your computer, i'm sure there are some program can achieve your activation code

if this fails, call MS and ask them to send you another winXP CD for free if you bought your copy legitimately.

about your partitioning question.

use your hard drive tool or use "diskpart" command in recovery console

either one will works

Back