• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SP1 + Win XP Pro = MAJOR SLOWDOWN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chowdy

Hello all, I have this really bad problem with internet slowdown with Windows XP SP1.

I just reformatted and installed Win XP clean and fresh, along with the slew of drivers. I downloaded SP1 and set it all up and when i restart i come to find that it takes a good 30 seconds to sign onto AIM.... and a good minute to just view this page (i'm viewing this page in Linux, which doesn't suffer the same slowdown, therefore making it a software error).

So my question is, what's up? This happened before in the past.. but i reformatted and it went away. Only this time, i don't want to reformat, as last time my reason was because of some other errors i was having that was fixable only by a format.

Please help me with this issue. TIA, Chowdy.

PS: My internet connection is 768/128 ADSL (Verizon).

Did you install SP1 after the drivers? If you did then you should try reinstalling the drivers.

I tried the driver reinstall and it did nothing to help me.

I think i'm going to do what my friend did, which was install the small "hotfixes" (from windows update) BEFORE SP1.

He, too, had the slow net issue with SP1 and was forced to reformat.

wait for SP2 next year

hopefully,your computer won't slow down after installing SP2

Back