• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats wrong with my hydor L30 pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliteoneXP

For some reason it will work perfectly fine until u unplug it then plug it back in again...it will just stop pumping completely. This only seems to happen when there is actually water in the pump and it doesnt do it all the time. Usually takes about 5-6 times till it actually wont pump anymore. You can still hear a small hum when you put your ear up to it but it doesnt seem like the propeller is actually spinning. any ideas?

Take out your impeller and make sure no foreign material is in the impeller chamber to stop the impeller from spinning.

since you are hearing a hum the pump it self is working.. it just sounds like you need to check that impeller isnt stuck or anything

nothing seems to be in there. I tried it like 8 times and still no go....seems i just need a new pump.

There is a date code stamped into the plastic inside the impeller chamber. Perhaps the impeller is getting hung up on that?

I've heard of people sanding it down.

Pick your pump apart.

Check for bent shaft or cracked shaft.

Make sure magnets (on the shaft) has no debris attached to it. It attracts almost anything metallic in the water.

Dry out and clean out chamber, inspect with flashlight to see all details inside pumphouse.

Check rubber axle holders, make sure they look and are ok.

The "impeller mod", gluening the impeller permanently to shaft, is something that jeopardizes the pumps start-up function. If you haven't heard of it you probably haven't done it, thats good.
The impeller should be able to freely rotate at least a 1/4 revolution on the axle to make sure the pump can start.

Sounds like the impeller is sticking on the shaft. I had that problem with my Aqua1300. I smoothed out the shaft with some 1500 grit ( wet ) and it hasnt done it since.

Back