• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Use Y-Splitter or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LPS

Registered
I'm going to get a L30 or 1250
i think my setting like this
Pump ->Y-Splitter ->1.CPU Block->2. GPU Block-> Y-Splitter -> Raditor->T-line(or a res)-> Pump

Go Pump->Radiator->T-line->Y-Splitter->CPU->GPU->Y-Splitter->Radiator.

Go with the T-line for less resistance. Use the Y-Splitter as to not put the cpu's heat onto the gpu.

Post some pics dude. Good luck!

I wish i can post some pic also
i did't get it because i'm looking for the heatercore..
i'm lazy to go out to find one..
so..
if anybody can find a good price of the stuffs that i need put the link to here
thanks *Kiss*

L30/1250
Chevette heatercore
120mm fan for heatercore
pump, RBX water block, and Y-Splitter/T-line/res
and some other needed/optional items..
because i'm new.. wanna get more experience.

thanks you very much
I think suma setting pretty close to my setup...
maybe need some help from him

You can also pickup that shroud from D-Tek if you wish, they have really good ones :D

Wouldn't a Y-Splitter be bad with a high reistance WB? I would think the water would flow in favor of the GPU, since it would have less resistance.

feyd83 said:
Wouldn't a Y-Splitter be bad with a high reistance WB? I would think the water would flow in favor of the GPU, since it would have less resistance.

True, having the Y-Splitter means lowering your flow rate. But it means you can have a different water pathway for each of the water block (cpu and gpu). In the end, you don't put the cpu's heat on the gpu = better performance.

LPS, don't shop for everything online. Walk through hobbyist stores and your local hardware stores (Home Depot) to look for ideas and stuffs that you can get cheaper. Check to see if the online stores permit pickup or not. I just found out D-Tek is only like 20 min from my house.

The Y-Splitter comes with your RBX block so don't worry about that. The White Water block is good too if you'd like. Go with the 1250 pump for its known reliability.

Good luck man.

Sneakytermite said:

True, having the Y-Splitter means lowering your flow rate. But it means you can have a different water pathway for each of the water block (cpu and gpu). In the end, you don't put the cpu's heat on the gpu = better performance.

LPS, don't shop for everything online. Walk through hobbyist stores and your local hardware stores (Home Depot) to look for ideas and stuffs that you can get cheaper. Check to see if the online stores permit pickup or not. I just found out D-Tek is only like 20 min from my house.

The Y-Splitter comes with your RBX block so don't worry about that. The White Water block is good too if you'd like. Go with the 1250 pump for its known reliability.

Good luck man.

ehh... not necessarily true. Yes, GPU will be getting colder fluid but thats not what you really want. You want all the available coolant to go to your CPU first, where its the most important, and then GPU gets heated by left over. Runing parallel between CPU and GPU won't usually give you better performance on the CPU

I don't know my GPU will work fine or not
so just buy one more first.
and then later on useful then just use it

ILikeMy240sx said:

ehh... not necessarily true. Yes, GPU will be getting colder fluid but thats not what you really want. You want all the available coolant to go to your CPU first, where its the most important, and then GPU gets heated by left over. Runing parallel between CPU and GPU won't usually give you better performance on the CPU

You have any proof of this ILikeMy240sx? Just like to find out more. But the reviews I have been reading indicate a Y-Splitter is better. Thanks.

Sneakytermite said:

You have any proof of this ILikeMy240sx? Just like to find out more. But the reviews I have been reading indicate a Y-Splitter is better. Thanks.

Sorry, no documents or literature on this but thats what I've picked up from reading alotta posts, reviews from various sites.

Running paralle is better thatn series in some cases but series can be better than parallel as well.

For example, running a rad in parallel is more advantageous mainy because deltaT is greater in both rads, so the amoung of heat transfer will be greater in both rads. If you ran the rad in series, deltaT will be big in one rad then very small in the second rad therefore the overall heat transfer is low compared to running rads in parallel.

In the case of WBs, you have to prioritize which block is more important to you. for example, let's say you were running 3 blocks, which are CPU, GPU, NB, in the order of importance. Then you would want your CPU to receive the maximum cooling capability since its the core that needs cooling the most. If you run CPU and GPU in parallel, its beneficial for your GPU since it's not getting any "used" water, but your CPU is not getting the maximum amount of cooling. This is why it's better to run WBs in series depending on which is the most important....

Hope I made sense

I guess your right with putting all the wc power onto the cpu. Let's just go with two rads, one for each wb. Man that would be nice. Too bad I don't have the money.

Have a look at the chart below by Bill Adams. There is not enough heat transfered to the water by the CPU waterblock to worry about it. Y use a splitter? ;)

load W . . flow . . . die T . . bp T . . inlet T . outlet T . C/W . . Btus*. . Watts . %eff
45.00 . .2.0/7.57 . . 36.5 . . 27.1 . . 25.00 . . 25.08 . . 0.256 . . 144 . . . 42.2 . . 94
45.01 . .1.5/5.68 . . 36.7 . . 27.3 . . 25.00 . . 25.11 . . 0.260 . . 148 . . . 43.4 . . 96
45.01 . .1.0/3.79 . . 37.2 . . 27.7 . . 25.00 . . 25.17 . . 0.271 . . 153 . . . 44.8 . . 99
45.01 . .0.5/1.89 . . 38.2 . . 28.7 . . 25.00 . . 25.33 . . 0.293 . . 148 . . . 43.4 . . 94

75.02 . .2.0/7.57 . . 45.0 . . 29.4 . . 25.00 . . 25.14 . . 0.267 . . 234 . . . 68.6 . . 91
75.02 . .1.5/5.68 . . 45.4 . . 29.8 . . 25.00 . . 25.18 . . 0.272 . . 243 . . . 71.2 . . 95
75.02 . .1.0/3.79 . . 46.1 . . 30.4 . . 25.00 . . 25.28 . . 0.281 . . 251 . . . 73.6 . . 98
75.02 . .0.5/1.89 . . 47.8 . . 32.0 . . 25.00 . . 25.56 . . 0.304 . . 251 . . . 73.6 . . 98

105.04 .2.0/7.57 . . 53.3 . . 31.6 . . 25.00 . . 25.19 . . 0.269 . . 341 . . . 99.9 . . 95
105.04 .1.5/5.68 . . 53.9 . . 32.1 . . 25.00 . . 25.26 . . 0.275 . . 350 . . . 102.6 . . 98
105.04 .1.0/3.79 . . xxxx . . 33.0 . . 25.00 . . 25.39 . . xxxxx . . 350 . . . 102.6 . . 98
105.04 .0.5/1.89 . . 56.9 . . 35.2 . . 25.00 . . 25.77 . . 0.304 . . 346 . . . 101.4 . . 97

I tend to avoid taking too much notice of paper equations like that as they fail to take into account real world situations and all the variables you actually encounter.

In my testing of my own system I run full flow to CPU block first, then split to all others, as ILikeMy240sx said its really only the cpu block that will benifit from the full cold coolant flow, unless you are major vmoding the vga or running a vga TEC etc) . The CPU block adds less than 0.5C to the coolant temp in one pass in my system, so this method works fine for all waterblocks and keeps overall system flow rate good too.

If you only have two blocks only then series is probably good as long as the GPU block, or incorporating it is not particularly restrictive, I think then you'd be better off not splitting.

What I would do personally in your situation though is have a 1/2 CPU block and then split after it to two 3/8 and have a 3/8 GPU & 3/8 NB block in each of the splits.

Colin said:
Have a look at the chart below by Bill Adams. There is not enough heat transfered to the water by the CPU waterblock to worry about it. Y use a splitter? ;)

Colin,
What's the title of the article you got that table from?
( or you could be a super nice guy and post me a link ;) )
Thanks

What I would do personally in your situation though is have a 1/2 CPU block and then split after it to two 3/8 and have a 3/8 GPU & 3/8 NB block in each of the splits. [/B]

Why split it after the cpu? There wouldn't be enough heat transfer from the nb to the gpu. Can you explain this BladeRunner?

Back