• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I hate MS and XP!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noble2501

And I have a good reason to do so! Sometimes when I try running windows explorer, the bloody thing eats up 98 % of my system resources! What gives? Is this because of xp pro just sucks like all other ms operating systems or possibly because of some other application on my computer like norton antivirus?

:(

Could be a million things,,,
What services are running in the task manager, is anything runnig at 90 to 100 percent cpu useage?
What is using the most ram...
how many programs do you have running at startup...
Have you changed the system display properties to turn off all the frufru stuf (like having menus fade in and out)?

The only thing in task manager eating up the resources is windows explorer. It takes sometimes up to 98 % of them. And it has crashed my system a couple of times.
I'll need to get back to my own computer to check out the other things, so I'll post back later!

jrbob said:
If you are on a network, explrer is probly lookong for drives on net work computers.

I'm not on a network (except that another computer is connecting to the internet through the same adsl modem). But once this occured I was logged on to xp with two different users at the same time and that time it was the other users explorer eating up 90 % of system resources at task manager.

Last edited:
Go to control panel and then users and set the way users log on to, use welcome screen

noble2501 said:

Ok I did this, but now I can't see my cool logon image. Do you know what service needs to be re-enabled to get it back?

Edit.

Could it be Net Logon?

thats the "use welcome screen" and "themes"

and btw, you clicking on movies arent you? does the same thing to me from time to time, only way Ive found to fix it w/o loggin off or rebooting is to crash windows and let it restart. this happened to me in most OS'es not just XP

Well if both computers are going through the same DSL line they can be networked if you only have 1 modem. Besides that lets see here I know I had a similar problem a while back with this. I know shutting some services down helped but if not mistaken it can be spyware or a virus that caused the problem to me. Took me forever to figure out what was going on.

could it be that your hard drives are still in PIO mode rather than UDMA?

If you are in PIO mode, the then CPU has to take care of all transactions between the hard disk and ram, which will raise your CPU useage a lot.

shiyan said:
could it be that your hard drives are still in PIO mode rather than UDMA?

If you are in PIO mode, the then CPU has to take care of all transactions between the hard disk and ram, which will raise your CPU useage a lot.

I have no idea.. :p so where do I change this setting?

Right click on My Computer and select Properties. Go to the Hardware tab, and click Device Manager. Find the item "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and double click on the Primary IDE Channel. The Advanced Settings tab will list the status of each drive on that channel.

PIO = t3h suck
DMA6 = ATA133
DMA5 = ATA100

JigPu

noble2501 said:
And I have a good reason to do so! Sometimes when I try running windows explorer, the bloody thing eats up 98 % of my system resources! What gives? Is this because of xp pro just sucks like all other ms operating systems or possibly because of some other application on my computer like norton antivirus?

maybe try a new browser??
mozilla
mozilla-firebird
opera
netscape

well i cant really help you with your trouble much, besides this piece of advice :D

ditch the windows!

http://www.linux.org/
http://tldp.org/
http://linuxiso.org/
also check out the alt/OS forums here on o/c

also bsd's are cool too (although somewhat harder to learn than say redhat/mandrake, and less hardware support~~ theyre more geared to servers than desktop)

It sounds to me like you got spyware or a virus running in the background. Maybe you should learn a bit about this subject before blamming Microsoft. XP and Explorer are greats products not like W98 or prior. Or maybe like other people sugested try Linux and you'll see in about a couple of months when you run into kernel problems, lack of support or try to get software that actually is functional and don't have to still use line commands, you'll remember that XP wasn't too bad after all.

JigPu:

I had those set to DMA if availeble already. So that's not it.

fiji:

I'm not talking about browsing the net, but my files. I also use opera from times to times, but some site's don't open correctly with it.
I'm taking some linux classes at school, but I just don't understand it. Our teacher is not too good either. All of the class would rather learn red hat, but he want's to teach us the text based linux.. :(

grusso7:

I have ad aware 6, so I'm pretty sure it's not spyware. It's windows explorer.

I'm taking some linux classes at school, but I just don't understand it. Our teacher is not too good either. All of the class would rather learn red hat, but he want's to teach us the text based linux..

well learning red hat, would be a good start, but if you want to really learn gnu/linux you'll have to do alot of things from the command line

Yeah but it's still an basics class. We actually learned much more when one of my fellow student's printed an paper with basic commands and what they do from the internet. (this isn't just my opinion, most of the other students agree)

on the problem:

I found sort of an solution, I go to task manager and end the process of explorer.exe (when it's eating up 98 % or so of my system resources) and I restart it with the run command (in task manager file -> new task (run), type explorer.exe). After I did this it only took 0 - 10 % of my system resources.

It's not a flaw it's an property.

Last edited:
noble2501 said:
because of some other application on my computer like norton antivirus?

symantec's products are famous for eating MORE computer resources.

if you use winxp for more than 5 months, it's a good time to format and re-do everything again.

Re: Re: I hate MS and XP!!

powerme said:

symantec's products are famous for eating MORE computer resources.

if you use winxp for more than 5 months, it's a good time to format and re-do everything again.

It hasn't been five months yet. But I've never been able to run xp for five straight months without some serious problem that has required me to format and reinstall xp. I'm not saying that these problems have been because of xp, toagh.

Back